Goa Christmas-eve rape happened next to armed police bunker: BJPJanuary 2nd, 2009 - 6:33 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Jan 2 (IANS) The rape of a middle-aged woman on Christmas eve at the popular Arambol beach took place right next to a fortified bunker and in close vicinity of a police outpost, former state Bharatiya Janata Party president Laxmikant Parsenkar says.Parsenkar, a member of the Goa assembly, told IANS Friday that the rape occurred just a few metres away from a fortified police bunker and about 60 metres from a police outpost at Arambol that is manned by an officer of assistant sub-inspector rank.
“The woman was gang-raped right next to a bunker when the whole state was on alert on December 24 looking for terrorists. The heads of policemen who were on duty at the Pernem police station and the outpost have to roll,” Parsenkar said, adding that the incident was reflective of the state of affairs in Goa.
Asked about this, Superintendent of Police (North) Bosco George said: “I’ll have to check whether the bunker was manned at that point of time. Each bunker had specific timings, as to when they should be manned.”
The victim, who was left on the beach to die, was identified as a local woman who used to sell flowers on the beach for a living and a resident of Mandrem, from where Parsenkar has been elected. She was found naked near the bunker on the beach by fishermen who were returning from the sea.
The police had erected sand-bagged bunkers on the beach as a security measure after intelligence inputs said that Goa could be a potential target for a terror attack by sea.
“Of what use are these bunkers if the police themselves are incompetent?” Parsenkar wondered. “Police officials pay hefty sums to get a lucrative posting at the Arambol outpost so that they can extort money from tourists and shelter their favourite drug dealers,” he alleged.
- Wear clothes that don't 'tease', Goa BJP tells tourists - Feb 21, 2010
- Australian woman alleges molestation in Goa - Oct 27, 2010
- Nine-year-old Russian girl raped in Goa beach - Jan 27, 2010
- Russian rape case: Mother submits detailed report to consulate - Jan 28, 2010
- Russians should sunbathe, have fun, go back, says Goa BJP - Mar 08, 2010
- Nine-year-old Russian girl raped in Goa beach (Lead) - Jan 27, 2010
- Selja calls up Kamat, asks for more security for tourists - Jan 27, 2010
- Russian girl rape case: Goa cops arrest one accused - Jan 29, 2010
- Russians tourists have 'all kinds of vices': Goa BJP chief - Feb 21, 2010
- 'BJP will form government in Goa' - Mar 06, 2012
- 9-year-old Russian raped in Goa beach (Second Lead) - Jan 27, 2010
- NCP national secretary runs illegal mine in Goa: Kamat - Feb 01, 2011
- Goa may ban nudity, but unclear about topless bathing - Mar 12, 2010
- Goa to spend Rs.36 crore to battle sea erosion - Jul 25, 2012
- Woman gangraped, dies in Ranchi hospital - Apr 23, 2012