Goa casino charged with denying winnings, beating up customerMarch 24th, 2009 - 10:47 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, March 24 (IANS) Police in Goa are investigating a complaint filed against the operator of an onshore casino, accused of beating a customer and denying him his winnings after he went to claim the money.
According to a complaint registered with the Anjuna police station Tuesday, Abhijeet Salgaonkar (25), a resident of Vasco, said that he was assaulted by bouncers attached to Casino Mint, located within the Riveira resort in Arpora, Monday night.
Riveira resort was in the eye of controversy Monday, after Tourism Minister Francisco alias Mickky Pacheco promised in the state assembly of a probe into the controversial allotment of five star status to the Riveira resort and La Calypso hotel, in violation of norms.
Only five star hotels are qualified to set up onshore casinos under the Goa Public Gambling Act.
Salgaonkar told IANS that he and six of his friends were playing the roulette Monday night and had notched up winnings of Rs 100,000 approximately.
“When we went to claim the money, we were beaten up by bouncers attached to the casino. One of them hit my face with a knuckle-duster. I received 14 stitches on my cheek,” he said.
Anjuna police officials said that a complaint had been registered and a police team was sent to the Riveira resort, to round up persons responsible for the assault, but admitted that no arrests had been made yet.
Speaking to IANS Tuesday, vice chairman of the Goa Tourism Development Corporation Lyndon Monteiro said that the incident did not bode well for the image of Goa as a safe tourist destination.
“It is not a good development for tourism in Goa. The casino operator has no right to stop a customer from taking home his rightful winnings,” Monteiro said.
- Goa's tourism minister arrested, released on bond (Lead) - Sep 30, 2009
- Goa minister booked for extorting money from casino - Sep 18, 2009
- Goans, under 21s, may be banned from Goa's casinos - Jul 05, 2012
- Goa casinos need regulatory authority: Casino operator - Nov 15, 2011
- Goa earned Rs.30 crore from casino entry fee - Aug 06, 2012
- Liquor curbs ahead of polls affecting Goa's casinos (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Poll-eve curbs on liquor affecting Goa's casinos - Jan 27, 2012
- Death of a hippie and rise of high value tourism in Goa - Oct 28, 2010
- Goa minister claims casino duped him of Rs.1.25 crore winnings - Jun 18, 2009
- Cops quiz Goa tourism minister in casino extortion case - Sep 29, 2009
- Hilton to have 25 hotels in India by 2016 - Aug 13, 2012
- New Nepal casino targets Indians in UP, Bihar - Dec 02, 2010
- Goa's special force to combat crimes against tourists - Dec 17, 2009
- BJP budget blows hot and cold on Goa's offshore casinos - Mar 27, 2012
- Goa fighting shy of promoting casinos, says Official - Oct 15, 2010