Goa BJP plans protests against casinosOctober 31st, 2008 - 7:47 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Oct 31 (IANS) Calling them “dens of vice”, the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) plans to launch a campaign against casinos in the tourist hub of Goa in November.”We cannot protest in public as the code of conduct is on (with the by-election in Pale assembly constituency scheduled in November), but once the polls are over and done with we will make sure that casinos are thrown out of Goa,” leader of opposition Manohar Parrikar claimed.
He said the campaign would not only cover off-shore casinos, but also those which operate in 5-star hotels in the state. “We are in the process of forming an action plan now. The casinos are nothing but dens of vice,” he stated.
Goa is India’s only state to have off-shore casinos.
- Goa BJP waters down stance on offshore casinos - Feb 23, 2012
- BJP budget blows hot and cold on Goa's offshore casinos - Mar 27, 2012
- Goans, under 21s, may be banned from Goa's casinos - Jul 05, 2012
- Casino revenue could fund Goa's old age homes: Parrikar - Aug 08, 2012
- Goa earned Rs.30 crore from casino entry fee - Aug 06, 2012
- Congress accuses BJP of 'U-turn' on casino, illegal mining - Aug 22, 2012
- Women's group claims Goa government in cahoots with casinos - Aug 13, 2012
- No gambling for Goans, says BJP - Mar 15, 2011
- Bill to put casinos out of bounds for Goans - Mar 25, 2011
- Goa ministers took money to shield floating casinos: Parrikar - Sep 16, 2010
- BJP wants to deter locals from gambling - Mar 27, 2012
- Mining and casino-friendly Parrikar is like Chanakya: Congress - Aug 30, 2012
- Goa plans mechanism to deter petrol smugglers - Apr 09, 2012
- 24 instances of illegal mining in Goa, says Parrikar - Jul 23, 2012
- Liquor curbs ahead of polls affecting Goa's casinos (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012