Goa bill proposes minorities panelAugust 2nd, 2012 - 7:22 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Aug 2 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party-led coalition government in Goa Thursday introduced a draft legislation for setting up a minorities commission.
The Goa Commission for Minorities Bill, 2012, which was introduced in the on-going monsoon session of the assembly is aimed to “safeguard the interests of the minorities in the state of Goa and to provide for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto”.
The proposed commission would be empowered to evaluate the progress of the development of the minorities and “make recommendations for the effective implementation of safeguards for the protection of the interest of the minorities by the government”.
The proposed panel would also “look into the specific complaints regarding deprivation of rights and safeguards of the minorities and take up such matters with the appropriate authorities”.
It would also “conduct studies, research and analysis on the issues relating to socio-economic and educational development of the minorities”.
The commission as envisioned in the bill will have a chairperson, a vice chairperson and five members, besides other officials.
Goa, which has a population of 14 lakh, has 27 percent Christian population, while Muslims account for over 10 percent.
- Ahead of polls, advisory panel pushes for Muslims' welfare - Jan 01, 2012
- Nuclear civil liability bill moved in Rajya Sabha - Aug 30, 2010
- Odisha points out shortcomings in proposed food security bill - Dec 10, 2011
- Parliamentary panel for consultations on educational tribunals bill - Aug 20, 2010
- Plan panel's poverty line not to impact socio-economic census - Sep 27, 2011
- Only 29 per cent women are literate in Pakistan - Jan 31, 2011
- Lokpal bill best possible, says government - Dec 22, 2011
- Honorarium to imams not a populist move, says Mamata - Jun 05, 2012
- BJP's conduct of panchayat polls undemocratic: Goa church - Apr 23, 2012
- Goa panel submits Lokayukta bill to Kamat - Sep 19, 2011
- Bharti Airtel mulls IPO of tower unit - Aug 08, 2012
- 'Plans to convert Goa into Hong Kong an insult' - Feb 28, 2012
- Proposed Goa police law has many defects, says Church - Jan 22, 2011
- Jamia Millia chief backs women's quota bill - May 02, 2012
- Nod for amendment to bill on women's quota in panchayats - Jul 21, 2011
Tags: aug 2, authorities, bharatiya janata party, christian population, coalition government, draft legislation, educational development, implementation, lakh, minorities commission, monsoon session, muslims, safeguards, state of goa, vice chairperson