Goa asked to pay Rs.50,000 compensation to beggarJanuary 15th, 2011 - 3:48 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Jan 15 (IANS) The National Human Right’s Commission (NHRC) has asked the Goa government to pay Rs.50,000 to a beggar who was literally dumped by police in a garbage dump and left to die. The commission said the money should be recovered from the guilty policemen’s salaries.
The NHRC in its order dated Jan 10 also recommended the state government to take “active steps to rehabilitate him and submit proof of payment and a rehabilitation report to the commission”.
The shocking incident occurred June 2, 2009. Police had given a clean chit to the personnel of the police control room (PCR) van, who had left the disabled 47-year-old beggar Shelton Messier to die in the smelly dump at Campal here.
The state government was also asked to file a full compliance report and submit it to the NHRC by Feb 19.
On a businessman’s complaint, who had claimed that the ill beggar was creating a nuisance outside his business premises, head constable P. Mhamah and police driver R.R. Tamse had picked up the beggar and thrown him in a garbage dump on a rainy night and left him to die.
- Goa police dump beggar on garbage heap (With Image) - Jun 04, 2009
- Rs.5 lakh for kin of Uttar Pradesh custody death victim - Nov 30, 2011
- NHRC seeks report on Assam violence - Aug 01, 2012
- NHRC pulls up Assam over witch hunting, custodial deaths - May 28, 2012
- Rights panel notice to Jharkhand over 22 workers' deaths - Jul 11, 2012
- NHRC notice to Haryana on abandoned baby girls - Jul 11, 2012
- NHRC orders relief to kin of child killed in gate collapse - Aug 24, 2012
- BJP struggles as 'garden city' becomes 'garbage city' (Karnataka Newsletter) - Aug 31, 2012
- NHRC chief visits Kerala's pesticide affected areas - Dec 18, 2010
- Teen dead, 200 still in hospital after 'colour' poisoning - Mar 09, 2012
- Rights panel finalises Bhatta-Parsaul report - Jul 05, 2011
- Sivakasi blast: NHRC notice to Tamil Nadu - Sep 07, 2012
- Delhi government, police get notice on labourer's death - Oct 25, 2010
- Orissa asked to improve human rights situation - Jan 19, 2011
- From Chinese agent to innocent monk - flipflops on Karmapa - Apr 25, 2012
Tags: beggar, business premises, businessman, campal, clean chit, compliance report, garbage dump, goa government, head constable, money, nhrc, nuisance, pcr, police driver, policemen, proof, rainy night, salaries, shocking incident, state government