Goa activists seek CBI probe into tribals’ murderMay 27th, 2011 - 9:54 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, May 27 (IANS) Tribal leaders in Goa have demanded a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the alleged murder of two activists, who were killed during a protest rally.
Convenor of the United Tribals Alliance Association (UTAA) Prakash Velip told reporters here Friday that a magisterial enquiry, which was ordered by the Congress-led coalition government to probe the two deaths, was inadequate.
“The magisterial enquiry is making a mockery of the tribals’ deaths. There should be a criminal probe by the CBI. Nothing short of it will do,” Velip told reporters at a press conference in Panaji.
“The police have booked tribal activists and arrested them, but not a single person responsible for the deaths of Mangesh Gaonkar (26) and Dilip Velip (27) were arrested,” Velip said.
Mangesh and Dilip were burnt to death by unknown people during the fag end of a rally by tribals Wednesday demanding for their rights.
Tribal leaders claim that the men along with the police assaulted the peacefully protesting tribals and that the two were murdered first and then burnt by the mob with the tacit understanding of the police.
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislator Ramesh Tawadkar, who is also part of the tribal alliance, said that he and his wife were assaulted by the same people during the rally.
“I have complained to the speaker about the police’s unwillingness to register a report,” Tawadkar said.
- 'Goa chief minister anti-tribal' - Jul 18, 2011
- NCP apologizes for Goa tribal murders - May 30, 2011
- Goa government supporting killers of tribal activists: Congress - May 28, 2011
- Goa tribals demand release of leaders - Aug 09, 2011
- Bodies of two tribals found in gutted Goa store - May 26, 2011
- Judicial probe ordered into Goa tribals' death (Lead) - May 28, 2011
- Congress wants CBI probe in Goa tribal deaths - Jul 01, 2011
- Goa tribal deaths: No witnesses come forward - May 28, 2011
- Goa finally names ex-judge to probe tribals' killing - Aug 08, 2011
- 'Goa police probing tribal killings harassing tribals' - Jun 15, 2011
- Judge set to probe Goa tribal activists' killings - Aug 30, 2011
- Journalists condemn attack on Goa press photographers - May 27, 2011
- Mob blocks Goa highway after accused's suicide - Sep 09, 2011
- Angry at slur, mourning Goa tribals invite cops to a drink - May 30, 2011
- Tribals Call Goa DGP 'General Dyer' (Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
Tags: activists, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, coalition government, congress, convenor, criminal probe, deaths, dilip, enquiry, fag end, goa, legislator, mob, mockery, prakash, protest rally, ramesh, tribal leaders, tribals