GNLA guns down school teacher in MeghalayaJuly 20th, 2012 - 2:03 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, July 20 (IANS) The Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) has gunned down a school teacher, accused by the rebels of being a police spy, in Meghalaya’s East Garo Hills district, police said here Friday.
Four armed GNLA rebels barged into the residence of Danny G. Momin in Resubelpara Thursday night and shot him dead.
The teacher was not working for the police, according to a senior police officer.
“They suspected that he was spying on them, but he was not. The killing was an act of desperation and to instill fear among the people,” Inspector General of Police F.D. Sangma said.
The GNLA, which is headed by police officer-turned rebel R. Sangma, has unleashed a reign of terror in the three impoverished districts of Garo Hills in western Meghalaya.
More than 30 people, including security personnel, have been killed in the area in the last one year by GNLA rebels.
- Garo rebels kill three in Meghalaya - Jul 20, 2012
- One injured as Garo rebels fire in Meghalaya town market - Jul 21, 2012
- Assam businessman killed, another abducted in Meghalaya - Aug 08, 2012
- GNLA killed ex-constable - Feb 26, 2012
- Two civilians killed, abducted manager untraced in Meghalaya - Jan 18, 2012
- Garo rebel killed, camp busted - Feb 09, 2012
- Garo rebel group GNLA declared terrorist outfit - Feb 01, 2012
- Fierce gunfight after rebels attack Meghalaya police officer - Feb 28, 2012
- 'Link between Meghalaya rebel group, student activists' - Sep 04, 2011
- GNLA commander killed, camp busted in Meghalaya - Sep 14, 2012
- Suspected Meghalaya rebels abduct official, traders - Nov 21, 2011
- Sangma asks Garo rebels to surrender arms - Feb 08, 2012
- Rebel shutdown hits life in Meghalaya - Sep 12, 2011
- Two rebels arrested in Meghalaya - Jun 10, 2012
- Meghalaya not to hold talks with terrorist group: Minister - Feb 07, 2012
Tags: act of desperation, district police, east garo hills, fear, garo hills district, guns, inspector general, meghalaya, momin, national liberation army, police officer, police spy, rebels, reign of terror, school teacher, security personnel, shillong, thursday night