GNLA chief sent to 15 days police custodyAugust 12th, 2012 - 4:56 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, Aug 12 (IANS) A court in Meghalaya Sunday remanded Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) chief Champion R. Sangma to 15 days’ police custody.
Sangma pleaded before the first class judicial magistrate I. Rymbui to provide him newspapers or TV or radio in prison.
“The Court of Judicial Magistrate has remanded him to 15 days’ police custody,” Sangma’s legal counsel Sujit Dey told reporters.
“We did not object to the court’s extension for 15 days’ police custody since my client wanted to cooperate with the investigation,” he said.
Sangma, whose outfit is fighting for a separate Garoland, was arrested July 30 near the India-Bangladesh border in Meghalaya and was remanded to 14 days’ police custody.
Sangma, who was brought to the court amid tight security, wanted that only the investigation officer should take him out and keep him in custody.
Earlier, Sangma’s counsel handed a two-page argument to the judge saying several interrogators had violated the Supreme Court guidelines on not disclosing their identity to the accused during interrogation.
Sangma, wanted by police for masterminding several crimes, including killings and extortion in insurgency-ravaged Garo Hills in Meghalaya, has been booked for waging war against the state.
- GNLA chief's judicial custody extended by 14 days - Sep 07, 2012
- GNLA chief sent to 14 days judicial custody - Aug 26, 2012
- Meghalaya rebel chief to move bail - Aug 09, 2012
- GNLA chief seek's lawyer presence during interrogation - Aug 07, 2012
- GNLA chief to move fresh bail plea in Meghalaya court - Sep 12, 2012
- Arrested Garo rebel leader planning peace talks? - Aug 05, 2012
- GNLA chief arrested near Bangladesh border in Meghalaya (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Meghalaya launches operation to rescue abducted exporter's son - Aug 31, 2012
- GNLA chief arrested due to efforts of India, Bangladesh - Jul 31, 2012
- GNLA chief arrested in Meghalaya - Jul 30, 2012
- NCP demands Meghalaya CM's resignation - May 04, 2012
- Three Meghalaya rebels nabbed - Nov 25, 2011
- GNLA commander killed, camp busted in Meghalaya - Sep 14, 2012
- Garo militant nabbed in Meghalaya (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Determined to end Garo terror outfit: Chidambaram - Feb 19, 2012
Tags: bangladesh, champion, crimes, extortion, garo hills, India, interrogation, interrogators, judicial magistrate, killings, legal counsel, meghalaya, national liberation army, newspapers, page argument, police custody, shillong, supreme court, tight security, whose outfit