GNLA chief seek’s lawyer presence during interrogationAugust 7th, 2012 - 10:42 am ICT by IANS
Shillong, Aug 7 (IANS) Detained Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) chief Champion R. Sangma has sought the presence of his legal counsel during interrogation, his lawyer said.
“He (Champion) has written a letter to the inspector general of special branch seeking the presence of his counsel during his interrogation,” Sangma’s legal counsel Sujit Dey said late Monday.
He said the letter would be handed over to the Meghalaya Police headquarters Tuesday.
Sangma, whose outfit is fighting for a separate Garoland, was arrested July 30 near the India-Bangladesh border in Meghalaya.
Meanwhile, Champion’s wife Enritha N. Marak has sought information from the Meghalaya Police in relation to her husband’s service in the department.
Sangma, a former deputy superintendent of police, deserted the Meghalaya Police due to alleged harassment from his superiors and floated the GNLA in November 2009. The Meghalaya government terminated his service in July 2010.
“She (Champion’s wife) has sought all the relevant information, through the RTI Act, 2005, from the public information officer of the office of the Meghalaya police,” Dey said.
Champion had met his legal counsel Saturday and hinted the possibility of holding talks with the government.
He is wanted by the police for allegedly masterminding several crimes, including killings and extortion in insurgency-ravaged Garo Hills.
He has been booked under various sections of the Indian Penal Code and the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.
- Meghalaya rebel chief to move bail - Aug 09, 2012
- GNLA chief sent to 15 days police custody - Aug 12, 2012
- Arrested Garo rebel leader planning peace talks? - Aug 05, 2012
- GNLA chief's judicial custody extended by 14 days - Sep 07, 2012
- GNLA chief arrested near Bangladesh border in Meghalaya (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- GNLA chief to move fresh bail plea in Meghalaya court - Sep 12, 2012
- GNLA chief sent to 14 days judicial custody - Aug 26, 2012
- GNLA chief arrested in Meghalaya - Jul 30, 2012
- Five killed in Meghalaya ambush - Nov 01, 2011
- GNLA chief arrested due to efforts of India, Bangladesh - Jul 31, 2012
- Meghalaya launches operation to rescue abducted exporter's son - Aug 31, 2012
- Fierce gunfight after rebels attack Meghalaya police officer - Feb 28, 2012
- 'Link between Meghalaya rebel group, student activists' - Sep 04, 2011
- Will not withdraw forces from Garo Hills: Sangma - Dec 06, 2011
- Meghalaya Police announce reward for catching GNLA rebels - Apr 28, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,