GNLA chief arms procurer arrested in MeghalayaJune 20th, 2012 - 6:15 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, June 20 (IANS) In a major breakthrough, the police arrested the chief arms procurer of the outlawed Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA), a rebel group operating in western Meghalaya, an official said Wednesday.
Jackuish A. Sangma was nabbed Tuesday night from Tura, the district headquarter of West Garo Hills when he was handing out an extortion note to a businessman, the police official said.
A foreign-made revolver along with six rounds of live ammunition, four GNLA extortion notes and seals were seized from Jackuish’s possession.
“He (Jackuish) has been under our (police) scanner for several months after being released on bail from Shillong district jail for his involvement in procurement of arms and ammunition for the GNLA,” Mukesh Kumar Singh, district police chief of West Garo Hills, told IANS.
Singh said Jackuish procured arms and ammunition from suppliers based in Dimapur, a town of Nagaland, bordering Assam.
In recent months, Assam Police have seized huge consignment of arms and ammunition, including rocket launchers, shells and foreign-made pistols, which were brought from Dimapur via Assam to Garo Hills.
Jackuish has been involved in the recent procurement of arms and ammunition which were seized by Assam Police. The police have registered a case against him based on the confession of some arrested GNLA rebels, Singh said.
Police have booked Jackuish under various sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), Arms Act and Unlawful Activities Prevention Act.
Meanwhile, a top police official termed the arrest of Jackuish as a major breakthrough for the state police.
“Jackuish’s arrest is a prize catch for Meghalaya Police and a major blow to the outfit,” a police official said.
- Assam businessman killed, another abducted in Meghalaya - Aug 08, 2012
- Top GNLA rebel arrested in Meghalaya - Aug 28, 2012
- Meghalaya launches operation to rescue abducted exporter's son - Aug 31, 2012
- Meghalaya's views sought to declare GNLA outlawed - Nov 01, 2011
- Three Meghalaya rebels nabbed - Nov 25, 2011
- Arms seized in Assam - Jun 02, 2012
- Meghalaya rebel chief nabbed in Bangladesh : Police - Nov 25, 2011
- Meghalay rebel leader's arrest shrouded in mystery - Nov 26, 2011
- GNLA chief arrested near Bangladesh border in Meghalaya (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- 'Link between Meghalaya rebel group, student activists' - Sep 04, 2011
- Garo militant nabbed in Meghalaya (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Meghalaya launches operation to rescue abducted official - Nov 22, 2011
- Militant nabbed in Meghalaya - Jun 05, 2012
- Meghalaya rebels kidnap exporter's son - Aug 30, 2012
- Garo rebel group GNLA declared terrorist outfit - Feb 01, 2012
Tags: assam police, businessman, consignment, district jail, district police, extortion, indian penal code, live ammunition, national liberation army, police chief, police official, police scanner, police the police, prevention act, rebel group, revolver, rocket launchers, shillong, state police, west garo hills