Gmail turns into ‘Gfail’February 24th, 2009 - 7:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 24 (IANS) Google’s popular email service Gmail, which has over a 110 million users worldwide, went offline at around 2 p.m. Tuesday, affecting users throughout the world, especially in Europe and India.
In a statement, Google said “a number of users” were having problems with Google Mail.
“We know how important Gmail is to our users, so we take this very seriously,” it added.
Apparently users accessing the web version of the email were experiencing problems, with the POP (post office protocol) downloading and mobile access through iPhone and Google’s own G1 still working fine.
Users worldwide resorted to twitter, the Gmail thread registering about 100 tweets per second, to discuss the problems.
“Gmail is getting HTTP:502 errors from Gmail. Anyone else got this or does it just hate me today?” said a post on the twitter thread by sciamachy (screen name).
Not just that, another thread by the name of gfail was getting constant updates on the gmail snag.
“Trouble In The Clouds: Gmail Turns Into Gfail,” crazyengineer posted on his tweet.
“We’re aware of a problem with Gmail affecting a number of users. This problem occurred at approximately 1.30 a.m. Pacific Time. We’re working hard to resolve this problem and will post updates as we have them,” Google posted on its support page.
“We apologise for any inconvenience that this has caused,” it added.
This is Google’s second major technical failure in less than a month. In January, all Google search results were affected by what Google called a “manual failure” returning malware errors to every search query.
- Gmail outage affects tens of millions of users worldwide - Apr 18, 2012
- Google to restore all Gmail accounts post bug - Mar 01, 2011
- Google to include personal email in web search results - Aug 09, 2012
- Gmail outage affects users worldwide - Apr 18, 2012
- Google accidentally wipes accounts of 150,000 Gmail users - Mar 01, 2011
- Gmail up and running after giving users hard time - Feb 24, 2009
- Google's email service faces glitch - Feb 28, 2011
- Now, Google tracking our each online move? - Mar 29, 2012
- Google launches 'cloud' service - Apr 25, 2012
- Gmail down - Causes panic in twitterverse - Sep 02, 2009
- Gmail Down: Causes Mass Disruption Among The Users - Sep 02, 2009
- Google buys email management software provider - Jul 21, 2012
- Top US officials' gmail hit by Chinese phishing - Jun 02, 2011
- Facebook Down - Don't Panic - Sep 24, 2010
- Google accuses China of interfering with Gmail systems - Mar 21, 2011