Glut of overqualified among new Kerala policemenMarch 22nd, 2008 - 9:20 pm ICT by admin
Thrissur (Kerala), March 22 (IANS) Thirty two lawyers, three engineers, four post-graduates in business administration (MBA), two M. Phil scholars and six holders of masters degrees in computer applications (MCA) were among the 243 sub-inspectors who passed out from the Kerala Police Academy here Saturday. The basic qualification for a sub-inspector’s post is graduation.
“Among those who came out of the academy today there are many who hold double post-graduate degrees,” said Alexander Jacob, inspector general of police and the director of the academy.
According to Jacob one of the reasons why highly qualified youths join the police is the power and glamour attached to the job. “Another reason is the high rate of unemployment,” Jacob told IANS.
He said the police could use the services of these sub-inspectors in special fields like tackling cyber crime and financial fraud.
“Kerala police already have six sub-inspectors with doctoral degrees. In Thiruvananthapuram one woman constable holds a doctoral degree.”
“Women constables in Kerala on an average are better qualified than the sub-inspectors.
“There are 150 double post-graduates, 450 post-graduates and five M. Phil scholars among women constables,” Jacob added.
Addressing the passing out parade here, Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan said the government would revamp the police recruitment procedures.
The basic qualification for a police constable will be raised to higher secondary level, he said. Currently, someone who passes secondary school can become a constable.
“There will be 3,000 vacancies in the police this year and 3,900 in the next year. The government hopes to introduce the new recruitment procedure from next year,” the minister added.
- Women's power reigns in northeastern police - Dec 15, 2011
- Criminals run truck over UP sub-inspector - May 17, 2012
- Delhi Police officer killed in road accident - Apr 29, 2011
- Bihar gets its first all-women police station - Jan 23, 2012
- Cop arrested for murdering subordinate - Jan 11, 2011
- Three cops killed as truck rams into police station - Jun 16, 2012
- Escaping police check, two teenagers die in collision - Jun 02, 2011
- Punjab cops to get unique IDs, officer ranks - May 12, 2011
- Chandigarh gets its first woman SHO - Jul 01, 2011
- Punjab gives promotions to 5,199 police men in one go - Sep 24, 2011
- Doctors with diplomate board degrees can teach in colleges - Oct 27, 2010
- Massive security for 2013 Allahabad Kumbh Mela - Jun 19, 2012
- 42 Maharashtra personnel to be honoured on Republic Day - Jan 25, 2011
- Bihar okays creation of 40 women police stations - Nov 03, 2011
- Suspended cop takes senior 'hostage' in Hyderabad - Sep 12, 2012