‘Global warming, fuel scarcity challenges for future generations’November 8th, 2008 - 7:42 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Nov 8 (IANS) Global economic competition, global warming, crumbling physical infrastructure, energy and fuel scarcity, increased fiscal deficits and a public education system are the major challenges before the coming generations, said Himachal Pradesh Governor Prabha Rau here Saturday.Rau emphasised the need to evolve a system of education that focuses on the mission of transforming societies into more wholesome environment for human, social, moral and spiritual habitation.
She was addressing pass-out students of Himachal Pradesh University here.
“Global economic and technical competition, global warming, crumbling physical infrastructure, energy and fuel scarcity, increased fiscal deficits and amongst all a public education system are the major challenges before the coming generations,” she said.
Rau called upon the students to muster courage to nurture a vision for a more sustainable world.
Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal spoke of the need for introducing university curriculum based upon the emerging requirements and trends in the education.
As per national survey reports, the hill state has 20 percent college-going students compared to 10 percent at the national level.
The state has primary schools within a walking distance of 1 to 1.5 km in hilly areas and 1.5 to 3 km in other areas.
The drop out rate at primary level has come down to 0.89 percent. Female literacy doubled from 31 percent in 1981 to 68 percent in 2001.
- Karnataka looks beyond Bangalore to promote tourism - Jun 08, 2012
- G-20 Summit Declaration - Jun 20, 2012
- FICCI calls for radical policy reforms in energy sector - May 07, 2012
- Himachal governor given warm send off - Jan 23, 2010
- Gas distribution networks to be set up in Uttar Pradesh - May 22, 2012
- Poor literacy major problem for Indian youths, says report - Apr 19, 2012
- Meghalaya seeks more funds from central government - Jun 06, 2012
- Jamia: Little known hub of pioneering scientific research - Nov 26, 2011
- Highlights of the third quarter review of monetary policy - Jan 24, 2012
- Obama's State of the Union Full Text - Jan 26, 2011
- Gogoi presents Rs.293.44 crore deficit Assam budget - Mar 12, 2012
- India Inc., NRIs react to Pranab's budget - Feb 28, 2011
- Text of PM's message - Dec 31, 2011
- With reforms under stress, India stares at ratings cut (Roundup) - Apr 25, 2012
- Prabha Rau was an athlete, trained musician (Obituary) - Apr 26, 2010