Global slowdown, reason for lowering growth projection: RBIOctober 25th, 2011 - 2:59 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Oct 25 (IANS) The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) lowered the growth estimates for fiscal 2011-12 to 7.6 percent citing a slowdown in the global economy and moderating domestic demand.
The central bank had projected the gross domestic product to grow by eight percent in 2011-12.
RBI Governor Duvvuri Subbarao said during the second quarter review of the apex bank’s monetary policy for this fiscal that the global economic slow-down would affect domestic demand and industrial production, given the growing inter-linkages between the Indian and international economy.
“Slower global growth will have an adverse impact on domestic growth, particularly on industrial production, given the rising inter-linkages of the Indian economy with the global economy,” Subbarao said.
The governor added that the investment sentiment in the country has declined due to slow pace of project clearance and implementation.
The apex bank pointed out that although the growth projection has been lowered, some sectors like services and agriculture would continue to grow at higher rates.
“The growth in the service sector is holding up well. Based on the normal south-west monsoon and first advance estimates that suggest a record kharif production, agricultural prospects look good. This should provide a boost to rural demand,” the governor said.
The central bank hiked the repurchase rate, or the interest the central bank levies on short-term borrowings by commercial banks to 8.5 percent from 8.25 percent.
Automatically, the reverse repurchase rate, or interest on short-term lending, gets hiked to 7.5 percent from 7.25 percent.
- Inflation-focussed RBI hikes rates again, may hold off another revision - Oct 25, 2011
- India's central bank cuts rates to push growth (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- India's central bank hikes rates again to fix inflation (Lead) - Nov 02, 2010
- India's central bank hikes rates sharply to tame inflation (Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- Loans set to pinch more as central bank hikes interest rates (Roundup) - Jul 26, 2011
- With inflation easing, India's central bank halts rate hikes (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- After petrol prices, higher interest rates set to bite - Sep 16, 2011
- Highlights of monetary policy unveiled by India's central bank - May 03, 2011
- India's central bank cuts interest rates to spur economy (Roundup) - Apr 17, 2012
- India's potential growth rate has come down: RBI - Jun 19, 2012
- Highlights of Indian central bank's monetary policy update - Jul 26, 2011
- India's central bank keeps key lending rates unchanged (Third Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Auto, realty sectors unhappy at interest rate hike (Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- India's central bank keeps key lending rates unchanged (Second Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Auto, realty sectors unhappy at interest rate hike - Jul 26, 2011
Tags: advance estimates, adverse impact, apex, apex bank, bank levies, bank of india, commercial banks, global economy, global growth, global slowdown, gross domestic product, growth estimates, growth projection, indian economy, international economy, reserve bank of india, service sector, south west monsoon, subbarao, term borrowings