Glasgow terror attack police to be honouredJanuary 9th, 2009 - 3:16 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 9 (IANS) Scottish police are to honour officers who helped thwart the Glasgow airport bomb attack led by Indian engineer Kafil Ahmed two years ago, the head of the region’s police force announced Friday. Bangalore-born Ahmed’s brazen bid to kill scores of holidaymakers ended up killing him, while his brother Sabeel was deported back to India.
A total of 39 officers and six departments will be recognised for their bravery during the June 30, 2007 attack and their involvement in the subsequent investigation, Strathclyde police said.
Officers rushed to the scene after Ahmed tried to drive a burning Jeep filled with gas canisters into the terminal.
The terror attack failed when the vehicle became stuck at the gate.
Officers hosed down a burning Ahmed, who died of burn injuries a month later, and overpowered and arrested co-passenger Bilal Abdulla, a doctor.
Iraqi-born Abdulla was jailed for at least 32 years in December for his involvement in the Glasgow attack and failed terrorist plots in London.
Strathclyde Police’s chief constable Stephen House said it was the “right time” to recognise the officers now the court case had ended.
“I am honoured and privileged to be presenting these awards,” he said.
“Officers never know what they may have to encounter on a daily basis and I fully appreciate that, irrespective of an officer’s role, they regularly face difficult and sometimes dangerous situations.
“Throughout the past year as chief constable of Strathclyde, I have been impressed by the commitment and dedication shown by both police and support staff throughout this force who carry out their duties in a professional and diligent manner.
“I am confident that we have learned a lot from the events of June 30, 2007, and are now stronger as a force and better placed to deal with anything of a similarly challenging nature,” he added.
- Client too studious to be terrorist: Glasgow terror attack lawyer - Dec 04, 2008
- 'Kafeel Ahmed fled car bomb in cycle rickshaw' - Oct 11, 2008
- Cool, lol, smiley faces - the language of terrorist - Oct 15, 2008
- Glasgow bomber Abdulla admits he is a terrorist as per English law - Nov 18, 2008
- New York police said Times Square car bomb 'similar' to one used in Glasgow raid - May 03, 2010
- Pain forces US prof to remove part of video cam implanted in his head - Feb 10, 2011
- Glasgow bomber gets 32-year jail term - Dec 17, 2008
- Iraqi doctor found guilty of failed UK bombings - Dec 17, 2008
- Indian-born Kafeel alone behind Glasgow bombing: co-accused tells court - Nov 18, 2008
- Iraqi artist to have 'eyes' in the back of his head - Nov 20, 2010
- 'Huge fireball' appears over Britain - Mar 04, 2012
- 'Kafeel kicked, punched bystanders in failed Glasgow attack' (Lead) - Oct 14, 2008
- Glasgow bomber Bilal Abdulla jailed for 32 years (Lead) - Dec 17, 2008
- British family holidaying in France shot dead - Sep 07, 2012
- I'm a pacifist, says surgeon cleared in Glasgow bombings - Dec 23, 2008