Girls not safe in Uttar Pradesh, say activistsFebruary 7th, 2011 - 1:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 7 (IANS) Women activists Monday expressed shock at the attack on a Dalit minor whose ear was nearly chopped off and fingers smashed after she resisted gangrape, saying girls were not safe in Uttar Pradesh and the situation was going from bad to worse.Girija Vyas, chairperson of the National Commission for Women (NCW), said: “Uttar Pradesh has the highest number of rape and adduction cases in the country and there is no justice delivered. There is police inaction and there have been instances when innocent victims land behind bars.”
“It’s a bad situation and no case is being referred to fast track courts,” she added.
The teenaged Dalit girl was subjected to a brutal attack late Saturday and her ear was nearly chopped off while resisting a rape attempt by three youths of her village in Uttar Pradesh’s Fatehpur district, police said Sunday. One man has been arrested.
The teenager was attacked with a sharp-edged weapon.
Ranjana Kumari, chairperson of the Centre for Social Research, said: “Girls are not safe in Uttar Pradesh. Just a week back we came to know that a 17-year-old Dalit girl was gangraped and murdered on the outskirts of Lucknow and now there is this case of another Dalit teenager attacked for resisting rape”.
“I can’t understand how Chief Minister Mayawati is keeping quiet on the whole matter? She is a Dalit leader herself and supposed to be the messiah of the community. We demand that an enquiry be done on the matter and the guilty punished immediately,” she added.
- Girls unsafe in Uttar Pradesh, say women's panel, activists (Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- Rahul's healing touch - visits victims of sexual assault - Feb 07, 2011
- It is 'rule of thugs' in Uttar Pradesh: Krishna Tirath - Feb 07, 2011
- Dalit girl attacked for resisting rape, one held - Feb 06, 2011
- Main accused arrested in Dalit girl attack - Feb 07, 2011
- Congress workers clash with UP Police during Rahul Gandhi's visit - Feb 07, 2011
- Rahul travels to Banda village to meet rape victim (Lead, Changing dateline) - Feb 07, 2011
- Rahul meets three rape victims in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - Feb 08, 2011
- Girija Vyas pulls up Mayawati Govt. over rising rape cases in UP - Feb 07, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh tops in crimes against women: Girija Vyas - Feb 01, 2011
- India's shame: More violence against women - Feb 08, 2011
- Rahul set to visit disfigured Dalit girl in Kanpur hospital - Feb 07, 2011
- Girl killed in police station was gangraped: Women's panel - Jun 30, 2011
- Child rights panel mulls action on girl's blinding - Jun 19, 2011
- Candlelight march against women harassment in Delhi - Feb 13, 2011
Tags: adduction, bad situation, brutal attack, chairperson, chief minister, dalit, district police, edged weapon, fast track, fatehpur district, innocent victims, kumari, lucknow, Mayawati, messiah, outskirts, police inaction, uttar pradesh, vyas, women activists