Girl’s letter to judge saves mother from jailFebruary 22nd, 2012 - 11:30 am ICT by IANS
London, Feb 22 (IANS) A British teenager saved her mother from jail by penning a heart-rending letter to the judge.Julie Cairns, 38, was hauled into court for flashing the V-sign to policemen who tried to pull her over before leading them on a drink-fuelled high-speed chase. But she dodged jail as her 14-year-old daughter begged Recorder Phillip Cattan for her freedom claiming she had a drink problem, the Sun reported.
Sammy Booth wrote: “My mum is a very good mum. She’s loving, caring and always here for me if I need someone to talk to. Mum’s had an alcohol problem for a few years since splitting up from my dad - alcohol turns her into someone she’s not.
“Whilst under the influence of alcohol, her attitude and behaviour change…
“This doesn’t really feel like it’s my mum, which upsets me.”
Booth told Manchester’s Minshull Street Crown Court she was sometimes late for school while caring for her mother.
She went on: “I’m scared for my mum and I’m scared for myself, I worry what will happen if she’s sent to prison. Where will I stay? What will happen to my pets? Will I be able to see my mum?”
Recorder Cattan gave Booth her wish while saying her mother escaped jail by “inches”.
He handed her a four-month prison sentence, suspended for two years, while banning her from driving for three years and ordered to do 200 hours of unpaid work.
- What teens expect from their mums - Apr 01, 2011
- Jessie J hates junk food - Jul 25, 2012
- Defoe sponsoring a three-year-old orphan in South Africa - Feb 06, 2010
- Brit girl, 15, drinks 152 units of alcohol every week, insists she's no alcoholic - Feb 16, 2011
- Stolen as infant, back as teen: Kashmiri twin's tale (Feature) - Sep 25, 2011
- Raza Murad to launch 'Sarabjit Bachao Adolan' - Jan 01, 2012
- Pregnant Miller takes up yoga - May 05, 2012
- Ora's parents were unaware of her interests - Aug 13, 2012
- I thought I would die: Oksana Grigorieva - Nov 17, 2010
- Liv Tyler wants to define her life - Jul 12, 2011
- Living ever after, virtually (Feature) - Feb 15, 2012
- Being working mom hard: Morton - Jul 04, 2012
- Winehouse reincarnated as butterfly, believes mom - Jul 10, 2012
- Married prison chaplain in UK jailed for 8-months for sex with inmate - Mar 16, 2011
- Gaga reduces drinking - Sep 05, 2012
Tags: alcohol problem, attitude, behaviour change, british teenager, cattan, dad, freedom, heart, high speed chase, judge julie, julie cairns, london feb, minshull street crown court, pets, policemen, prison sentence, sammy, sun, unpaid work, v sign