Girls allege sexual exploitation in north Gujarat collegeJuly 7th, 2008 - 12:18 am ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, July 6 (IANS) As many as 23 girls studying in a training college in Mehsana district of north Gujarat have fled their hostel, complaining of sexual molestation by the institute’s managing trustee. The students of the K.B. Dave Adhyapan Mandir, a co-education primary teachers’ training college at Pilvai in Vijapur sub-district, 190 km from here, ran away from their hostel Saturday night and took shelter at the home of their college-mate Kinjal Patel in Sabarkantha district.
Kinjal Patel said: “Of the 28 girls staying in the girls’ hostel 23 fled Saturday night. We were treated no more than domestic servants at the mercy of Kamleshbhai.”
One of the girls said: “We prefer self-immolation rather than going back to hell.”
They demanded strict punishment to Kamlesh Dave, 30, managing trustee of the college, saying he used to make indecent demands.
“The Prantij police have refused to file an FIR (first information report) on the pretext that the area of the college does not come under their jurisdiction,” said Kinjal’s father-in-law Mithabhai Patel.
Minister of State for Education Jaisinh Chauhan visited the village and said: “Suitable action will be initiated after due inquiry. I have recorded the statements of the girls.”
- College girls threaten self-immolation over sexual harrassment - Jul 10, 2008
- Gujarat women's panel chief hears woes of Mehsana girls - Jul 08, 2008
- Self-immolations in Tibet politically motivated: Lawmaker - May 16, 2012
- Adopt liberal policies for Tibet, exiles urge China - Jan 07, 2012
- Haryana students to be made aware on NRI marriages - Apr 25, 2012
- Rape victim succumbs to burn injuries - Apr 18, 2012
- 'Dalai Lama not inciting self-immolations' - Mar 26, 2012
- Exiled Tibetans ask China to stop repressive policy - Nov 04, 2011
- Self-immolation bids sign of overseas instigation: China - Oct 18, 2011
- Exiles seek UN intervention in Tibet - Mar 21, 2012
- Bachchan to lure tourists to more Gujarat sites - Aug 01, 2011
- Tibetan monk sets himself on fire in China - Feb 14, 2012
- Dalai Lama blames Beijing for self-immolations - Apr 21, 2012
- US lawmakers concerned over rights violations in Tibet - Nov 18, 2011
- 'Another monk has self-immolated in Tibet' - Jul 17, 2012