Girl power in Jamia (To go with: Turkish language course flavour at Jamia)August 5th, 2012 - 4:50 pm ICT by IANS
There has been increase of about 12 percent in girl students in Jamia Millia Islamia, following a 10 percent reservation for girls. With this, the percentage of girls on the campus has crossed 30 percent.
“Our aim is to increase this representation to 50 percent… It will be our endeavour to make the campus a safe place for the girl student,” Vice Chancellor Najeeb Jung told IANS.
And the increase is not confined to traditionally popular courses but to courses like engineering too. “It is heartening to see girl students opting for engineering in large numbers,” Jung said.
According to Khalid Moin, dean, Faculty of Engineering and Technology, seats reserved for girls were the fastest to be filled this year. And girls from outside Delhi constituted the majority.
Jamia Milllia Islamia is a 92-year old central university with more than 15,000 students studying at research, postgraduate, undergraduate, diploma and certificate levels in different departments and faculties.
- Turkish language course flavour at Jamia - Aug 05, 2012
- Jamia Millia Islamia to have China and Afghan studies programmes - Nov 16, 2011
- Jamia secular in spirit: Vice chancellor - Feb 22, 2011
- 'Jamia's minority status a boon for Muslim students' - May 12, 2011
- jamia to run 50-bed medical centre - Apr 28, 2012
- Jamia to felicitate girl students admitted in male bastion - May 31, 2012
- Jamia Millia chief backs women's quota bill - May 02, 2012
- Jamia's minority status won't make it a madrassa: Vice chancellor (Interview) - Feb 25, 2011
- New pro-vice-chancellor for Jamia Millia - Aug 16, 2010
- Jamia head appointed to RBI board - Sep 26, 2011
- Jamia V-C felicitates first Anglo Arabic girl's batch - Jun 01, 2012
- Maoists need 'hand holding': Jamia vice chancellor - May 02, 2012
- Jamia vice chancellor to 'play' a new role - Feb 25, 2011
- Dalai Lama honoured with doctorate at Jamia - Nov 23, 2010
- Baroness Sayeeda Warsi visits Jamia Millia - Sep 20, 2011
Tags: aim, certificate levels, dean faculty, endeavour, faculties, faculty of engineering, flavour, girl power, girl student, girl students, jamia, khalid, large numbers, millia, moin, najeeb, safe place, turkish language course, undergraduate diploma, vice chancellor