Girl molested, journalist assaulted at Punjab NCC camp (Lead)October 3rd, 2008 - 9:01 pm ICT by IANS
Hoshiarpur (Punjab), Oct 3 (IANS) The National Cadet Corps (NCC) authorities in Punjab Friday initiated action against an official after he allegedly molested a girl cadet. A local journalist who went to cover the incident was beaten up by officials at the NCC camp, the police said. The girl was allegedly molested late Wednesday at a camp being held at the Khalsa College campus in Mahilpur, 20 km from this Punjab town.
The NCC official was allegedly drunk at the time of the incident.
The Punjab police have registered a case against the NCC official, Subedar Gurdeep Singh, for molesting the girl.
The police have also registered a case against him and other NCC officials for a murderous assault on the local journalist, Yogesh. They have been booked on the charge of attempt to murder.
“We have registered the case against NCC officials following both incidents,” S.S. Gill, Hoshiarpur’s district police chief, said here.
The NCC official was taken off duty Thursday after an NCC cadet complained that the official molested her.
“We will initiate court martial proceedings against him,” NCC camp head, Col. S.S. Goraya, said.
The incident came to light only after the journalist, Yogesh, who came to know about it, went to cover it. At the NCC camp, he was beaten up and his camera broken by officials who wanted to cover up the incident, the police said.
He was taken to a hospital in Jalandhar city, 55 km away. Doctors at the Satyam Hospital, where he was admitted, said his condition was serious and he has been admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU).
Nearly 450 NCC cadets from colleges of the region are participating in the camp at Mahilpur.
- Girl molested, journalist beaten at Punjab NCC camp - Oct 03, 2008
- Two cops booked for driving colleague to suicide - Mar 02, 2011
- IPL molestation case: Victim's fiancee backs her version - May 20, 2012
- Australian IPL player arrested for molesting woman, claims innocence (Third Lead) - May 18, 2012
- Constable arrested for molesting minor - Feb 13, 2012
- No further arrests yet in Assam girl molestation case - Jul 14, 2012
- Two held for molesting minors in Bengal - Sep 02, 2012
- NCC targets women cadets - Jan 05, 2012
- RCB owner Sidhartha Mallya gets legal notice for tweets - May 19, 2012
- Four nabbed for molesting a teen-ager in Guwahati - Jul 13, 2012
- Punjab man gets death for burning two sons to death - Sep 18, 2012
- Molestation case: Police nabs two more - Jul 15, 2012
- Students out on boats to save Sukhna lake - May 15, 2010
- Ex-news channel journalist arrested in Guwahati molestation case (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Hundreds out in Guwahati demanding punishment for molesters - Jul 15, 2012