Girl foetus found abandoned in RajasthanJune 16th, 2012 - 11:53 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, June 16 (IANS) Another foetus of a girl was found abandoned by the road in Rajasthan’s Chittorgarh town Saturday - the latest such incident in a state where the sex ratio is terribly skewed.
Police said the baby was found abandoned in Kotwali police station area in the town, some 300 km from state capital Jaipur.
“Some passers-by spotted the fully-developed foetus of a girl lying in bushes near BSNL building here and informed the police. It was wrapped in polythene. A police team was immediately rushed there,” said a police officer.
“Some nearby shopkeepers have told us that two women had been spotted dumping something into the bushes. It was later found to be a foetus,” said the officer.
He added that a first information report (FIR) has been registered against these unidentified women.
Several incidents of girls being abandoned by their parents have been reported in Rajasthan recently in a grim reminder of the fact that girls are less desirable than boys here.
An eight-month-old girl was found wrapped in a cloth near a reservation window of the Rajasthan Roadways bus stand in Bundi May 19. Similarly, an infant girl, apparently abandoned by her parents, was found at the doorstep of a children’s home in Udaipur May 9.
According to Census 2011, Rajasthan now has 883 girls between the ages of 0-6 for every 1,000 boys. The child sex ratio in 2001 was 909.
Due to alarming number of female foeticide and infanticide cases, the Rajasthan government had last month announced it would frame a ‘girl policy’.
- Body of day-old girl found in well in Rajasthan - Jun 12, 2012
- Girl's foetus found in Rajasthan town - Apr 20, 2012
- Rajasthan couple tries to bury new born girl alive - Jul 03, 2012
- Search on for abandoned girl's parents in Rajasthan - May 23, 2012
- 2-year-old girl abandoned in Rajasthan's Jhunjhunu - May 26, 2012
- Special police station to probe Rajasthan foeticide cases - Sep 17, 2012
- Body of newborn girl found - Mar 27, 2012
- Honour for women delivering girl child - Aug 09, 2012
- Newborn girl found abandoned in Rajasthan - Jul 07, 2011
- Fourth foetus found in Jaipur - Mar 31, 2012
- Two female foetuses recovered in Rajasthan - Nov 06, 2011
- Rajasthan doctor booked for female foeticide - Nov 02, 2011
- Baby girl found abandoned by wayside - Sep 04, 2011
- Court asks Rajasthan to explain action against female child killing - Mar 30, 2012
- Another newborn girl's body found in Jaipur - Mar 28, 2012
Tags: alarming number, bundi, bushes, child sex, chittorgarh, doorstep, female foeticide, foetus, grim reminder, infant girl, infanticide cases, information report, jaipur, police station, police team, rajasthan government, rajasthan roadways, reservation window, sex ratio, udaipur