Gill turns down merger proposal with HI

June 24th, 2011 - 7:47 pm ICT by IANS  

New Delhi, June 24 (IANS) Indian Hockey Federation (IHF) chief advisor K.P.S Gill Friday launched a scathing attack on Hockey India (HI) and the sports ministry, saying the IHF cannot merge with HI which has “corrupt” people and who “conspired” to suspend it.

Gill, however, said he was open to the formation of an unified body, but HI should merge with IHF and keep “corrupt” people out of the new federation. “Merger is acceptable but it should be reasonable and without people tainted with corruption and conspiracy. HI shoud merge with a reconstituted IHF.”

“There are two-three constituent members who went away from IHF. They should come back and merge with IHF,” Gill said at a press conference here.

Gill trained his guns on HI secretary general Narinder Batra, who is also the treasurer of the Delhi and District cricket Association. “He is better off serving cricket.”

When it was pointed out that IHF is recognised by the International Hockey Federation (FIH), Gill said: “The situation is changing. We are trying to change it. I cant’ tell you more.”

Gill alleged that the government and the Indian Olympic Association (IOA), which suspended IHF in 2008, “concealed significant facts from the court and from the people”.

Gill said he has been asking the government to work out a merger since the Delhi High Court lifted the IHF’s suspension last May. “They did not respond for many days. After that there were some meetings in between. Now suddenly they call a meeting and want it to happen within days.”

“(IHF president) R.K. Shetty and Mr. Batra were asked to prepare a joint document. Mr. Batra was ready with a document when Mr. Shetty went to meet him. We had rejected it. Later on, when the spotrs ministry called both the parties, their document had 10 points from what Mr. Batra proposed.”

“Still we are under discussion and we do not want the dispute to continue.”

When it was pointed out that the ministry can take action if the merger does not take place, Gill shot back: “The government has already taken severe action. What more will they do? They have gone out of their way to harass the IHF.”

He said IHF will continue to hold tournaments and bring out talent. “There is hockey beyond Olympics and World Cup.”

“We conducted the junior nationals and gave a list of 44 players last year to HI and sports ministry to train them. Instead a new championship was held 6-7 months later and same players were slected by HI. Had they been trained we would have been in a better position in the Champions Trophy and Olympic qualifiers, but that time was wasted.”

“Nothing has been done by HI in these years. Same players who were playing then are being selected.”

“In the senior national championships held in Bhopal, players were distributed to various teams.”

The former IHF president again highlighted that FIH profited more from the World Cup, superseeding the original MOU. He reiterated that Rs 7.5 crore was spent as sponsorship money, which was Rs.5 crore more than the agreement between the IHF and the FIH.

“The FIH president told media that $300,000 had been paid to HI. No accounts of expenditure for this amount has been disclosed. The profits from the World Cup were supposed to be used for the development of hockey in the country. Till now that fund has not been created.”

IHF said in a statement that IOA president Suresh Kalmadi, secretary general Randhir Singh, FIH secretary Peter Cohen and former FIH president Els van Breda Vriesman are four conspirators who for their “illegal monetary gains superseeded the earlier MOU signed between FIH and Indian Hockey Federation in 2007. It alleged “misapproprtaion” of money during the World Cup through the ad-hoc organising committee which was dissolved immediately after the event.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |

    Subscribe