Gilchrist calls Tendulkar to apologiseOctober 24th, 2008 - 9:32 pm ICT by IANS
Pune, Oct 24 (IANS) Adam Gilchrist Friday phoned Sachin Tendulkar and apologised for calling him “a liar and dishonest,” a day after the Australian’s comments vilifying the cricketing god angered cricket lovers throughout the country.Gilchrist had a telephonic talk with Tendulkar, a source close to the Indian batsman told reporters here.
Gilchrist reportedly told Tendulkar that he was quoted out of context by the media.
“I hold you in high esteem and the import of what I wrote in one sentence was quoted out of context in the media. This could be borne out from the entire four-page chapter devoted to the Symonds-Harbhajan episode”, Gilchrist is believed to have told Tendulkar.
In his soon-to-be published autobiography “True Colours”, Gilchrist referred to Tendulkar’s role in the Harbhajan Singh-Andrew Symonds race row in the controversial Sydney Test.
Gilchrist described Tendulkar’s evidence in the hearing against Harbhajan’s alleged “Monkey” comments as a “joke”. He went on to say Tendulkar is a “sore loser” as he was hard to be found for a changing-room handshake after the match.
To Gilchrist’s changing-room handshake remark, Tendulkar’s reported reaction was that on-field bonhomie was fine, but sharing beer in the other team’s dressing room was not Indian cricketing culture.
The comments of the former wicket-keeper were criticised by Indian cricket fans and officials, who dismissed it a publicity gimmick to promote his book.
Tendulkar, who was in the city along with Mahendra Singh Dhoni to inaugurate the Vengsarkar Cricket Academy at Kherwadi, would not comment.
Former national chief selector Dilip Vengsarkar saw the remark as a marketing gimmick.
“You have to write something sensational to sell a book,” Vengsarkar said.
“I think it’s a marketing strategy, but very unfortunate,” the former Indian captain said.
Indian board vice-president Rajiv Shukla said Gilchrist has damaged his own reputation by his remark.
“Gilchrist should have thought twice before making such a comment about a great batsman widely respected in the cricketing world,” said Shukla.
- Australian media digs up Monkeygate to tarnish Tendulkar's image - Jan 02, 2012
- Harbhajan slams Gilchrist for his remark on Tendulkar - Oct 24, 2008
- Sidhu calls Akhtar's claims a cheap gimmick - Sep 24, 2011
- Vengsarkar, Shiny Wilson presented lifetime achievement awards - Apr 27, 2012
- Tendulkar, Rayudu spark in Mumbai's win (Lead) - May 02, 2011
- Clarke, Dhoni feel there won't be a Monkeygate thanks to IPL - Jan 02, 2012
- Cricketing world pays rich tributes to Dravid - Mar 09, 2012
- Symonds, Bhajji finally make peace - May 08, 2011
- Kings XI Punjab crush Mumbai Indians by 76 runs (Lead) - May 11, 2011
- Sachin will complete century of hundreds at Melbourne: Harbhajan - Dec 24, 2011
- Teamwork behind Mumbai Indians good show in IPL: Pollard - May 03, 2011
- History beckons both India and Australia but spotlight remains on Tendulkar - Jan 02, 2012
- Legendary batsman Sachin Tendulkar becomes MP - Jun 05, 2012
- IPL set for grand start - without 'feel good' factor - Apr 03, 2012
- Tendulkar bags IPL's best batsman and captain's award - Apr 24, 2010