Gilani-led Pakistani delegation in Kabul for talksApril 16th, 2011 - 3:20 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, April 16 (IANS) Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani arrived here on a day-long visit Saturday to hold talks with the Afghan leadership.
Gilani was received at the Kabul International Airport by Afghan Minister for Education Farooq Wardak, Pakistan’s Ambassador Muhammad Sadiq and senior officials, The Dawn quoted an APP report as saying.
The Pakistan prime minister is schedueld to meet Afghan President Hamid Karzai at his presidential palace, where Gilani will discuss a range of issues, including bilateral relations and regional situation with specific reference to the situation after the withdrawal of foreign troops.
According to official sources, the US troops’ pullout plan, war against terrorism, border crossing, Afghan Taliban reconciliation, repatriation of Afghan refugees and Pakistan- Afghanistan transit trade agreement are expected to be discussed during the meeting.
“The purpose of the visit is to ensure that both the neighbouring countries are on the same page in tackling the bilateral challenges,” The Nation quoted a senior government official as saying.
The crucial visit is in response to the invitation of Afghan President Hamid Karzai to Gilani.
Others accompanying Gilani include army chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, ISI chief Ahmed Shuja Pasha, ministers of defence, interior, finance, Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Hina Rabbani Khar and Foreign Secretary Salman Bashir.
The two leaders are expected to make a joint address after their exclusive and delegation-level talks.
- Pakistan PM in Kabul for strategic talks (Lead) - Apr 16, 2011
- Khar to visit Afghanistan Wednesday - Jan 31, 2012
- Gilani calls for Af-Pak cooperation in war on terror (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2011
- Hillary arrives on two-day Pakistan visit - Oct 20, 2011
- ISI chief visits Qatar (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Pakistan for better ties with Afghanistan - Jan 04, 2012
- Krishna to meet Khar in Tokyo Sunday - Jul 07, 2012
- Pakistan, US to hold talks on new terms of engagement - Apr 17, 2012
- Pakistani foreign minister leaves for Britain - Feb 20, 2012
- Talks only way to improve Pakistan, India ties: Gilani - Jul 26, 2011
- Pakistani PM visits Afghanistan - Jul 19, 2012
- Can't push Pakistan to do more: Gilani - Sep 30, 2011
- Karzai wants neighbours' closer cooperation for peace - Jun 14, 2012
- Pakistan's boycott won't affect cooperation: Karzai - Dec 06, 2011
- Pakistan offers Afghanistan intelligence in Rabbani's killing - Oct 11, 2011
Tags: afghan president hamid karzai, afghan refugees, army chief, ashfaq, chief general, farooq, hamid karzai, isi chief, kabul international airport, kayani, khar, muhammad sadiq, parvez, president hamid karzai, rabbani, regional situation, shuja, transit trade, wardak, yousuf