Gilani indicted: Sad day for Pakistan, says ruling partyFebruary 13th, 2012 - 3:53 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 13 (IANS) The ruling Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) Monday said it is “a sad day” for the country after Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani was indicted by the Supreme Court in a contempt of court case.
PPP secretary for information Qamar Zaman Kaira said it was a very sad day that the prime minister has been charge sheeted.
“For the first time the prime minister has been charged. It’s a sad day for Pakistan,” Geo News quoted Kaira as saying after the court hearing got over.
In a first for any prime minister in Pakistan, Gilani was Monday indicted by the Supreme Court in the contempt of court case for refusing to reopen corruption cases against President Asif Ali Zardari.
The court had issued him a contempt notice Jan 16.
Gilani had appeared before the Supreme Court Jan 19 in the contempt case for not acting against Zardari for corruption and defended his move, saying that the constitution provided immunity to the president.
The apex court had warned the government of action if its ruling on the National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO), granting immunity to politicians and bureaucrats in corruption cases, was not implemented by Jan 10, 2012.
- A first: Pakistani PM indicted for contempt (Fourth Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- A first for Pakistan: Gilani indicted for contempt (Evening Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Contempt of court: Gilani set to appear before apex court - Jan 19, 2012
- Contempt case: SC to decide Gilani's fate Thursday (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Gilani convicted for contempt, gets symbolic sentence (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Gilani has committed contempt, rules Pakistan court - Feb 02, 2012
- First for Pakistan, PM indicted for contempt (Second Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Gilani convicted for contempt, opposition wants him out (Third Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Gilani won't ask Switzerland to reopen cases against Zardari - Feb 10, 2012
- Pakistan's Supreme Court issues contempt notice to Gilani - Jan 16, 2012
- No contempt proceedings if president has immunity: Pakistani court - Feb 01, 2012
- Gilani's appeal in contempt case rejected by apex court - Feb 10, 2012
- Contempt of court: Supreme Court adjourns till Feb 1 - Jan 19, 2012
- Pakistani PM files appeal in contempt of court - Feb 08, 2012
- Gilani indicted for contempt (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
Tags: apex court, asif ali, bureaucrats, contempt case, contempt notice, contempt of court, corruption cases, court case, court hearing, geo news, granting immunity, jan 19, kaira, national reconciliation, pakistan peoples party, ppp, raza, ruling party, sad day, yousuf