Gilani convicted: Imran Khan plans `tsunami march’April 27th, 2012 - 12:52 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 27 (IANS) Opposition leader Imran Khan is contemplating a “tsunami march” if the Supreme Court’s decisions are “not respected” following the conviction of Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani for contempt of court.
Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leader Imran Khan accused the Gilani government of being corrupt and pledged that his party would not let them get away with it.
“Govt Coalit a Corruption Union hell-bent on filling its bottomless coffers! We will not let them get away; will ensure their accountability,” he tweeted.
Another tweet said: “Indep Judiciary gave gift to nation by convicting a powerful man. If SC decisions not respected, PTI will lead Tsunami March on Isl soon.”
Gilani was convicted and received a symbolic sentence that lasted about 30 seconds for refusing to act on the court’s directives to write a letter to Swiss authorities to reopen corruption cases against Zardari.
The prime minister has maintained that the president enjoys immunity under the Pakistani constitution.
Opposition leaders, including Imran Khan, have called for Gilani’s resignation following his conviction.
- Convicted Gilani must quit, says opposition - Apr 26, 2012
- Gilani convicted, opposition demands his ouster (Second Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- No need for Gilani to quit, says Pakistani cabinet - Apr 26, 2012
- Gilani convicted for contempt, opposition wants him out (Third Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Pakistanis want change from old order, says daily - May 11, 2012
- Country stands by Supreme Court, says Imran Khan - Jan 16, 2012
- Pakistan must not leave Siachen unilaterally: Imran Khan - Apr 23, 2012
- Hindu doctors' murder a sad day for Pakistan: Imran Khan - Nov 11, 2011
- Won't support any coup, says Imran Khan - Jan 12, 2012
- Imran Khan started tsunami in Pakistan politics, says deputy - Nov 16, 2011
- Will halt US drone strikes: Imran Khan - Feb 11, 2012
- Gilani gets lawyer in contempt case (Evening Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Zardari leaves a tense Pakistan for a day in Dubai (Second Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Pakistani apex court suspends 28 lawmakers, two ministers - Feb 06, 2012
- Imran a rising star in Pakistani politics: Daily (With image) - Dec 26, 2011
Tags: accountability, coffers, contempt of court, conviction, corruption cases, immunity, imran khan, isl, islamabad, judiciary, opposition leader, opposition leaders, pakistan tehreek e insaf, powerful man, prime minister, pti, resignation, swiss authorities, tehreek e insaf, tweet