Gilani authorised me to speak on situation with India: DurraniJanuary 13th, 2009 - 12:13 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Jan 13 (IANS) Sacked Pakistani national security adviser Mahmud Ali Durrani has said he did not cross the “official brief” while speaking on Ajmal Kasab’s nationality, adding that Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani’s directive authorised him to talk on the “evolving situation” with India following the Mumbai terrorist attack, a media report said Tuesday.Durrani believes that “perhaps he was made a scapegoat”, Geo TV reported.
Probably, Durrani said, the prime minister felt “left out” in taking key decisions, and this might be a reason for his dismissal.
The report said: “This implied that Gilani apparently feels irritated over the fact that it is the presidency where all major decisions are being taken whereas it should be the prime minister’s office for such national business.”
“The prime minister had every right and authority to send me home, but the way he did it was not nice although otherwise he is a fine gentleman. I wish him success,” Durrani said adding: “The way I was sacked… I was painted as if I have committed a grave crime.”
He said through an official letter issued on the directive of the prime minister in December, it was decided that only the national security adviser, the foreign minister and the information minister have the authorisation to speak on the “evolving situation” with India in the wake of the Mumbai terrorist attack, the report said.
He said that Pakistan must have excellent relations with the United States, being the sole superpower. “On my own, I worked hard to make my place for Pakistan in the influential American think-tanks and the US administration to bring about good ties between Islamabad and Washington.”
- I conferred with ISI on Kasab's Pakistani identity: Sacked official - Sep 17, 2011
- Pakistan sacks National security adviser - Jan 08, 2009
- Sacked Pak NSA says Kasab revelation was based on security agencies recommendation - Jan 08, 2009
- Zardari, Gilani discuss Durrani's dismissal - Jan 09, 2009
- Durrani defends himself on Kasab identity disclosure (Roundup) - Jan 08, 2009
- Pakistan decides against appointing NSA - Jan 15, 2009
- Durrani calls for frank dialogue between Indian, Pakistani spymasters - Sep 05, 2009
- Durrani for dialogue between Indian, Pakistani spymasters (Lead) - Sep 05, 2009
- Gilani authorized me to speak on Kasabs identity: Durrani - Jan 13, 2009
- Gilani acted hastily on my removal says sacked Durrani - Jan 15, 2009
- Durrani sacking dominates Pakistani media (Lead) - Jan 08, 2009
- Pakistan speaks in two voices on Kasab (Lead) - Feb 18, 2009
- Durrani's sack shows rift in Pakistani leadership: Indian experts - Jan 08, 2009
- Pak PM Gilani says ISI has given feedback, describes situation with India as fragile - Jan 09, 2009
- Only "authorised ministers" to speak about double murder-accused US official: Gilani - Feb 18, 2011