Gilani asks NATO to answer ‘disturbing questions’

December 13th, 2011 - 11:26 pm ICT by IANS  

Yousuf Raza Gilani Islamabad, Dec 13 (IANS) Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani Tuesday asked NATO to answer the “disturbing questions” about last month’s air strikes on two Pakistani army border posts that killed 24 soldiers.

NATO is still investigating the Nov 26 strikes in Pakistan’s Mohmand tribal region bordering Afghanistan.

“We expect the US-NATO-ISAF inquiry that is being undertaken to come out clearly with the facts and provide answers to the disturbing questions that our own investigations have raised,” Online news agency quoted Gilani as saying.

Gilani said the attacks constituted a “huge setback” to the prospects of much-needed cooperation between all important stakeholders.

“Our cooperation with the US-NATO-ISAF was based on respect for Pakistan’s sovereignty and territorial integrity. Under no circumstances, could we accept flagrant transgression of our territorial frontiers,” the prime minister said.

“This remains our base line and there can be no compromise on sovereignty, dignity and national honour,” Gilani said.

The National Security Committee of parliament has been asked to undertake a detailed study of the attacks, which will be considered by a joint sitting of parliament.

He said that given the “seriousness” of the issue, the government has already taken several important decisions — close the NATO-ISAF logistic supply lines, ask the US to vacate the Shamsi air base in Balochistan and boycott the Dec 5 Bonn conference on the future of Afghanistan.

“We have been compelled to take these steps to safeguard Pakistan’s interests, Gilani said.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |

    Subscribe