Giant crocodile captured in Sri LankaFebruary 24th, 2009 - 12:34 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Feb 24 (Xinhua) A huge 16.5 foot (about 5.03 metre) crocodile weighing up to 1,000 kg has been captured in Sri Lanka, a newspaper said.
The Daily Mirror said Monday the giant crocodile was captured Sunday by residents in Hendala, around 20 km north of here.
The residents caught the crocodile with the help of a noose while it was swimming in the Kallualla canal, the newspaper said.
Residents complained the animal was responsible for the disappearance of household pets and livestock in the area and had been spotted in the vicinity a few times.
The newspaper quoted Wildlife Department range officer Amil Jayawardene as saying the crocodile was 16.5 feet long and weighed between 800 kg and 1,000 kg.
With the assistance of the residents and the police, the male crocodile was transported to the head office of the Wildlife Department in Malabe, the newspaper said.
It would be transferred to the Udewallawe sanctuary.
- Sri Lanka to catch man-eating crocodiles - Apr 13, 2012
- Huge pet crocodile seized in Mexico - Feb 10, 2012
- The crocs of Bhitarkanika: A problem of plenty? (With Image) - May 21, 2012
- Hot on trail of a Himachal leopard - with GPS - Oct 26, 2010
- Tigers in Goa? Forest minister dodges queries - Aug 08, 2011
- Tigress, cubs kill, eat farmer in Yavatmal (With Image) - Jan 10, 2012
- Cameras keep eye on snow leopards in Spiti Valley - Dec 29, 2010
- Leopard captured in Odisha made to 'entertain' locals - Jul 09, 2012
- Goa activists happy with Jairam's tiger reserve initiative - Jun 29, 2011
- 100 crocodiles escape from flood-hit Thailand farm - Oct 11, 2011
- Punjab, Pakistan to exchange wildlife - Sep 25, 2011
- 127 ghariyals die in Chambal sanctuary - Nov 24, 2010
- Villagers kill six lions in Kenya - Jun 21, 2012
- Forest rangers capture wild elephant calf in Jalpaiguri - Dec 31, 2010
- Paddy comes to rescue of elephants in Arunanchal - May 21, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,