Ghazibad residents block rail traffic for 5 hoursMay 25th, 2009 - 11:23 pm ICT by IANS
Ghaziabad, May 25 (IANS) Angered commuters in Ghaziabad Monday disrupted traffic on the eastern railway track after two people in a running train were killed when they hit a signal pole, allegedly installed wrongly. Services could be resumed only after senior railway officials assured the pole would be removed.
Two passengers in an EMU train going to Delhi were killed Monday morning when their heads hit the signal pole outside Ghaziabad junction. As the local residents came to know about the deaths, they staged a dharna on the track, forcing the train drivers to stop at the station.
Important trains including Rajdhani Express were detained for several hours.
The agitators pelted stones at some trains but no major damage was reported by the railway authorities. However, train movement was disrupted for more than five hours. The agitators alleged that the western side outer signal pole was erected wrongly at a technically faulty place due to which over a dozen passengers have died, out of which six were killed in the last four days.
They said they had complained to the railway authorities several times but no action had been taken to remove the pole.
The deceased were identified as Rajiv and Sanjay, residents of Vijay Nagar area.
“The train movement could be resumed at 2 p.m. - after a five-hour-long disruption when the railway authorities agreed to remove the pole,” said the Government Railway Police (GRP) station officer.
- Human error caused Tamil Nadu train accident - Sep 14, 2011
- Jharkhand BJP demands resumption of night trains - Nov 27, 2011
- Train services disrupted after 'Maoist posters' seen on track - Jul 23, 2010
- Goods train derailed in Bihar, disrupts traffic (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 13, 2012
- Two railway officials crushed by train - Oct 20, 2011
- Goods train derails in Bihar; no casualties - Jul 13, 2012
- Indian Railways working on system to check collisions - Sep 14, 2011
- Two die after being pushed out of train in Bengal (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- Blast disrupts train services in Orissa - Jan 09, 2011
- Collision hits train services on Bangalore-Chennai route - Sep 14, 2011
- Passengers stranded as Gujjar agitation continues - Dec 21, 2010
- Train derails after colliding with bus (Third Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Irate passengers block railway tracks in Ghaziabad - Sep 24, 2010
- 15 killed in Tamil Nadu train collision: Police - Sep 14, 2011
- Robbers kill passenger aboard train - Feb 04, 2010