Ghaziabad traders protest police inaction, shut shopsAugust 11th, 2012 - 7:08 pm ICT by IANS
Ghaziabad Aug 11 (IANS) Shopkeepers here downed shutters Saturday to protest police cases lodged against them and presented a memorandum to the senior superintendent of police (SSP) to withdraw the cases.
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) city convenor Sardar S.P. Singh said Friday that six boys tried to abduct a girl while she was returning from school. Tough resistance by her and swift help from shopkeepers forced the boys to flee.
Immediately after the incident, the victim’s brother lodged a police complaint against six boys of Mirza Jaan locality, where the girl lives with her family.
Police detained one accused but he was forcibly taken away from the police post by about two dozen youths of the locality. They beat up the police post in-charge and damaged the building. On learning of the incident, shopkeepers protested police inaction.
Late Friday night traders came to know that the accused youths were still at large and that police had registered criminal cases against a hundred-odd traders, including some local BJP leaders.
The BJP leaders then presented a memorandum to the district magistrate and the police chief.
Sardar Singh said the SSP assured them that innocent people would be not harassed and action would be initiated against those who indulged in the violence after viewing video clippings.
“It is police atrocity to book local traders who were protesting against eve-teasing by local boys who tried to abduct the girl. Instead of arresting the culprits and those who ransacked the police post, took away the criminals and thrashed the police post in-charge, police registered criminal cases against traders who were protesting against all this,” said Ghaziabad city mayor Teluram Kamboj.
- BJP adds Ghaziabad mayor's seat to its kitty - Jul 08, 2012
- Party member beaten up by Ghaziabad police chief: BJP - Aug 26, 2011
- 16-year-old girl in Rajasthan alleges gang rape - Jun 29, 2012
- Residents protest police action against councillor - Sep 30, 2011
- Ghaziabad residents protest police apathy in rape case - Apr 19, 2012
- BJP accuses Ghaziabad administration of favouring SP - Jul 02, 2012
- Mystery shrouds couple's death in police custody - Jun 08, 2012
- Girl gang raped in basement of Ghaziabad mall - May 04, 2012
- Curfew relaxed in violence-hit Ghaziabad area - Sep 17, 2012
- Woman engaged in trafficking held in Ghaziabad - Dec 31, 2010
- Girl gangraped in Patna boys' hostel - Sep 12, 2012
- 43 percent turnout in Ghaziabad civic polls - Jul 05, 2012
- Youth murdered by ex-lover's father - Jan 26, 2012
- Four more held for moral policing in Karnataka - Jul 30, 2012
- Parents of man who filed gangrape complaint scared for his safety - Feb 07, 2011