Ghaziabad man allegedly beaten to death in police custodyJune 14th, 2009 - 10:31 pm ICT by IANS
Ghaziabad, June 14 (IANS) A 45-year-old man was allegedly beaten to death in police custody in Ghaziabad, the victim’s son said Sunday. Police say they have ordered a departmental enquiry and registered a case against four people including a constable.
“The post-mortem examination report is awaited and a departmental enquiry has been ordered,” Ghaziabad police chief Akhil Kumar said.
According to victim Santram’s son Jitendra, his father had gone to a relative’s house in Bhovapur near Kaushambi on the outskirts of New Delhi Saturday night to mediate in a property dispute. The discussion became heated and one of the relatives called the police.
The police took Santram and some other people to the police station, where they were put in the lock-up. Jitendra alleged that the police also demanded a bribe of Rs.50,000 to release his father.
Jitendra said the police then called him and told him his father was not well and had been taken to a hospital. On reaching the hospital, he was shocked to learn his father had died.
He said he was asked to sign a paper saying that Santram was a heart patient and that he had no grievance against anybody. Jitendra said that he refused to sign the paper and then his father’s body was taken for autopsy.
Jitendra lodged a complaint with the police Sunday alleging that his father had been beaten to death in police custody.
Also on Sunday morning, when Santram’s relatives came to know about the incident they reached the mortuary and shouted slogans against the police.
- Five Bihar police officials suspended for custodial death - Sep 13, 2011
- Chhattisgarh cop suspended for custody death (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- 'Harassed for dowry' woman jumps to death from Ghaziabad mall (Lead) - Jun 24, 2009
- 3 policemen suspended for NRI chef's custodial death - Jan 25, 2011
- Three policemen suspended over student's suicide - Jan 17, 2011
- Suspected custody death in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 29, 2010
- Property dealer shot dead in Ghaziabad - Dec 24, 2011
- SIT to probe NRI's custodial death: Goa minister - Feb 03, 2011
- Kin, activists claim police beat NRI chef to death - Jan 11, 2011
- Chhattisgarh cop suspended for youth's custodial death - Feb 22, 2012
- Vigilance inquiry against four policemen - Mar 30, 2011
- Ex-IAF officer, wife murdered (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Anna's cartoonist supporter sent to police custody - Sep 09, 2012
- Punjab student commits suicide after harassment by classmates - Nov 25, 2010
- Body of BBA student found in pieces in Delhi - Sep 03, 2012