Ghana sacks Serbian football coachMarch 20th, 2012 - 5:41 pm ICT by IANS
Accra, March 20 (IANS) The Ghana Football Association (GFA) has sacked Goran Stevanovic as the coach of the national team, the Black Stars, following three weeks of extensive meetings.
The Serbian coach, who has a year left under his current deal with the team, has been under incessant pressure after Ghana failed to win the 2012 African Cup of Nations co-hosted by Gabon and Equatorial Guinea.
The GFA said in a statement issued here Monday that the decision was taken in the best interest of the nation.
“We will like to express our gratitude to the general public for their concerns about the national team and their patience so far,” the statement quoted the GFA president Kwesi Nyantakyi as saying.
Assistant coach of the Black Stars, Kwesi Appiah, has been asked to take temporary charge of the team until a substantive trainer is named.
Ghanaian media and fans blamed the disappointing fourth place of the team on player indiscipline while others accused coach Stevanovic of poor selection.
But the trainer, in a leaked post-tournament report submitted to the FA, blamed the team’s poor showing at the tournament on the use of black power or “juju” as it is known locally, to destroy one another, Xinhua reports.
The allegation has enraged some members of the executive committee as well as the teeming fans who have called for the immediate termination of his contract.
- Ghana football association dismisses player gambling rumour - Feb 18, 2012
- Ghana to decide football's coach fate - Feb 23, 2012
- Ghana names Maxwell Konadu as assistant coach - May 04, 2012
- Ghana to provide bonuses for African Cup title - Jan 11, 2012
- Ghana disappointed at semi-final loss in African Cup soccer - Feb 09, 2012
- Ghana football mourns death of African stars - May 09, 2012
- Ghana star Gyan announces return to national football team - Jul 12, 2012
- SAFA apologizes to Ghana over age-cheating claims - Apr 27, 2012
- Ghana announce squad for 2014 World Cup qualifiers - May 19, 2012
- Ghana president backs soccer team to fight back - Feb 17, 2012
- Asamoah Gyan quits Ghana's national team - Feb 19, 2012
- Ghana to play China in international friendly - Jul 21, 2012
- Ghana jumps in FIFA rankings - Jan 19, 2012
- Ghana third best African side on FIFA ranking - Sep 06, 2012
- Euphoria engulfs Zambia after AFCON triumph - Feb 13, 2012
Tags: african cup of nations, allegation, appiah, assistant coach, best interest, black stars, equatorial guinea, executive committee, football coach, gabon, ghana football association, ghana football association gfa, gratitude, indiscipline, juju, patience, poor selection, sacks, xinhua