Ghana names Maxwell Konadu as assistant coachMay 4th, 2012 - 5:20 pm ICT by IANS
Accra (Ghana), May 4 (IANS) The Ghana Football Association (GFA) appointed Maxwell Konadu, coach of local premier side Asante Kotoko, as the assistant coach of the men’s senior national football team.
The 39-year-old ex-Ghana international had been heavily linked to the position after guiding Ghanaian club Asante Kotoko to win its 22nd league title last Sunday with four games remaining in the season.
Konadu, a member of the national team that won the bronze medal at the 1992 summer Olympics in Barcelona, will assist head coach Kwesi Appiah, with Nasam Yakubu taking over as the goalkeepers’ trainer.
The combination of Appiah and Konadu formed a strong partnership that powered Ghana’s U-23 team to a historic gold medal feat at last year’s All Africa Games in Maputo, Mozambique.
The first competitive assignment for the duo in charge of the FIFA World Cup quarter-finalists would be the 2014 World Cup qualifying campaign at home to Lesotho in June, followed by a cagey encounter against African Cup of Nations winners Zambia.
Ghana placed fourth at the 2012 CAF Nations Cup co-hosted by Gabon and Equatorial Guinea.
Ghana has not won the continental championships since 1982.
- Ghana sacks Serbian football coach - Mar 20, 2012
- Ghana announce squad for 2014 World Cup qualifiers - May 19, 2012
- Ghana football association dismisses player gambling rumour - Feb 18, 2012
- Ghana to provide bonuses for African Cup title - Jan 11, 2012
- Ghana president backs soccer team to fight back - Feb 17, 2012
- Ghana disappointed at semi-final loss in African Cup soccer - Feb 09, 2012
- SAFA apologizes to Ghana over age-cheating claims - Apr 27, 2012
- Ghana to decide football's coach fate - Feb 23, 2012
- Ghana to play China in international friendly - Jul 21, 2012
- Ghana star Gyan announces return to national football team - Jul 12, 2012
- Ghana football mourns death of African stars - May 09, 2012
- Asamoah Gyan quits Ghana's national team - Feb 19, 2012
- Ghana jumps in FIFA rankings - Jan 19, 2012
- Ghana third best African side on FIFA ranking - Sep 06, 2012
- Botswana, from 'whipping boys' to 'African team of year' - Dec 30, 2011
Tags: 1992 summer olympics, accra ghana, africa games, african cup of nations, appiah, assistant coach, bronze medal, caf nations cup, continental championships, equatorial guinea, fifa world cup, four games, ghana football association, head coach, kotoko, maputo mozambique, national football team, quarter finalists, summer olympics, yakubu