Ghana jumps in FIFA rankingsJanuary 19th, 2012 - 4:17 pm ICT by IANS
Accra, Jan 19 (IANS) Ghana has moved up three places in the latest FIFA world rankings to occupy the 26th position from last month’s 29th, the Ghana Football Association announced here.
The Black Stars, Ghana’s national men’s senior football team, who are aiming for the 2012 African Nations Cup title, start off the year as Africa’s second best side behind Cote d’Ivoire after gaining 18 points to accumulate 779 points.
Algeria is the third with Egypt following in fourth place on the continental ranking table.
World champions Spain still lead the overall standing followed by the Netherlands and Germany in the third position.
India climbed up four places to 158th position tied with neighbours Bangladesh.
The world football governing body expects movement on February’s ranking as there will be 32 matches taking place at the Africa Cup of Nations in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea starting Jan 21.
Ghana were quarterfinalists in the FIFA World Cup held in South Africa in 2010.
- Zambia moves to fourth position in African football - Feb 16, 2012
- Ghana third best African side on FIFA ranking - Sep 06, 2012
- Ghana disappointed at semi-final loss in African Cup soccer - Feb 09, 2012
- Ghana names Maxwell Konadu as assistant coach - May 04, 2012
- Ghana president backs soccer team to fight back - Feb 17, 2012
- Zambia yet to receive money for winning 2012 Africa Cup - Mar 15, 2012
- Euphoria engulfs Zambia after AFCON triumph - Feb 13, 2012
- Ghana to play China in international friendly - Jul 21, 2012
- Spain retain top spot in FIFA ranking - Apr 12, 2012
- Ghana announce squad for 2014 World Cup qualifiers - May 19, 2012
- Angola to train in Brazil for Cup of African Nations - Dec 18, 2011
- Ghana football association dismisses player gambling rumour - Feb 18, 2012
- Ghana to decide football's coach fate - Feb 23, 2012
- Indian business delegation to visit Ghana next week - Jul 05, 2012
- Botswana, from 'whipping boys' to 'African team of year' - Dec 30, 2011
Tags: africa cup of nations, african nations cup, bangladesh, black stars ghana, cote d ivoire, equatorial guinea, fifa rankings, fifa world cup, fifa world rankings, football team, ghana football association, governing body, jan 19, jan 21, national men, neighbours, south africa, third position, world champions, world football