Ghana football mourns death of African starsMay 9th, 2012 - 3:54 pm ICT by IANS
Accra, May 9 (IANS) The Ghana Football Association (GFA) has paid tributes to two celebrated African footballers, Nigeria’s Rashidi Yekini and Jules Bocande of Senegal, who passed away Friday and Monday, respectively.
Yekini, a former Nigerian superstar was 48, while former Senegalese national star Jules Bocande, 54, died Monday in France, reports Xinhua.
GFA President Kwesi Nyantakyi, sent a message of “sincere condolences” to the families of Yekini and Bocande, saying the association was deeply shocked and saddened by the news of the untimely death of the two African distinguished players.
Yekini scored 40 goals from 58 games as a Nigerian international, and represented the nation in five major tournaments, including two World Cups, where he scored the country ’s first-ever goal against Bulgaria at the 1994 edition in the United States. He was also named the African Footballer of the Year in 1993.
Bocande, who finished top scorer of France’s Ligue 1 championship in 1985-86, played for his country in the 1980s and 1990s. He never played at a World Cup but he did play a major role in Senegal’s run to the last eight of the 2002 finals co-hosted by Japan and Korea.
He worked as assistant coach to Frenchman Bruno Metsu as the Teranga Lions, Senegal’s national soccer team, stunned the world by reaching the quarterfinals in 2002 World Cup.
- Nigeria set to immortalize late football star - May 13, 2012
- Ghana to provide bonuses for African Cup title - Jan 11, 2012
- Ghana sacks Serbian football coach - Mar 20, 2012
- Ghana football association dismisses player gambling rumour - Feb 18, 2012
- Asamoah Gyan quits Ghana's national team - Feb 19, 2012
- Ghana to play China in international friendly - Jul 21, 2012
- Ghana star Gyan announces return to national football team - Jul 12, 2012
- Ghana names Maxwell Konadu as assistant coach - May 04, 2012
- Ghana to decide football's coach fate - Feb 23, 2012
- SAFA apologizes to Ghana over age-cheating claims - Apr 27, 2012
- Ghana third best African side on FIFA ranking - Sep 06, 2012
- Cameroon's 'Indomitable Lions' ready to roar in South Africa (Group E team profile) - May 30, 2010
- Senegal coach optimistic ahead of World Cup qualifier - Jun 09, 2012
- India's football friendly with South Africa postponed - Dec 05, 2011
- Liberia holds Nigeria to 2-2 draw - Sep 09, 2012
Tags: african footballer of the year, african footballers, african stars, assistant coach, bruno metsu, footballer of the year, ghana football association, ghana football association gfa, jules bocande, kwesi, ligue 1, national soccer team, national star, rashidi yekini, senegalese, sincere condolences, teranga, top scorer, world cups, xinhua