Get the gorilla off your back: Ravi Shastri to SachinNovember 25th, 2011 - 2:55 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Nov 25 (IANS) Sachin Tendulkar last hit a century in any form of the game on March 12, 2011 in Nagpur against South Africa in the World Cup. Eight months since, the wait for the landmark 100th ton is still on.
“He should quickly get the monkey off his back,” said former India player Sanjay Manjerakar, who is commentating on the Test series between India and the West Indies.
“It will be good for the team if he plays in the ODI series against West Indies and scores a century because we need a confident Tendulkar for the Australia tour,” he said while talking to compatriot Ravi Shastri at the other end.
“The monkey has grown into a gorilla now,” Shastri retorted in a lighter vein.
“Yes, Sachin will need to get rid of it before he heads for the all important series Down Under. He should atleast play in the first three ODIs and complete the milestone.”
Tendulkar will have the chance to accomplish the feat at home, before the Australia tour, if he chooses to play against West Indies in the One day series.
India will play West Indies in five ODIs, starting Nov 29 at Cuttack.
The batting maestro came as close to the milestone as he ever has, reaching 94 on the fourth day of the third and final Test against West Indies at the Wankhede Friday. However he once again succumbed to the nervous nineties, getting out to Ravi Rampaul edging the ball to second slip Darren Sammy.
After his 99th century, Tendulkar played in four ODIs in World Cup. He has not played an ODI since the World Cup final against Sri Lanka in Mumbai. He pulled out of the ODI series in the away tours of the West Indies and England.
He played four Tests in England and three against the West Indies at home. He is without a century in 12 Test innings. He came close in the Oval Test match, scoring 91.
- Hype will make it tough for Tendulkar: West Indies coach - Nov 04, 2011
- India aiming for a clean sweep of West Indies - Nov 21, 2011
- India look for series win and Tendulkar's 100th ton at Eden (Preview) - Nov 13, 2011
- What Tendulkar's wicket means to bowlers and captains - Nov 25, 2011
- Milestone century eludes Tendulkar again (Lead) - Nov 25, 2011
- Tendulkar misses landmark century, India 376/6 at lunch - Nov 25, 2011
- Rahul Dravid, a gentleman-cricketer to the core (Profile) - Mar 09, 2012
- Tendulkar back; big chance for India's GenNext against Windies - Nov 05, 2011
- Dhoni wins World Cup but India loses No 1 Test status (2011 in Retrospect - Cricket) - Dec 21, 2011
- Career highlights of Rahul Dravid - Mar 09, 2012
- Tendulkar completes 22 years in international cricket - Nov 15, 2011
- Ashwin century makes up for Tendulkar missing it (Roundup) - Nov 25, 2011
- West Indies arrive for series against India - Nov 03, 2011
- Sachin will not score 100th ton in Australia: McGrath - Jan 02, 2012
- Process of getting back to top starts now: Dhoni - Nov 05, 2011
Tags: australia tour, compatriot, cuttack, eight months, final test, gorilla, milestone, nagpur, nervous nineties, odi series, odis, oval test, sammy, sanjay, shastri, test innings, test match, test series, west indies, world cup