Get police guards while withdrawing money in HaryanaJanuary 12th, 2009 - 2:12 pm ICT by IANS
Panchkula (Haryana), Jan 12 (IANS) In the wake of increasing incidents of robberies in this Haryana district bordering Chandigarh, the local police have decided to launch a campaign to make people aware of a scheme to escort people withdrawing money.Under the scheme, anyone can demand a security cover from the police while going to withdraw Rs.100,000 or above from a bank.
“This scheme is already there but very few residents have used this option. Lack of awareness among the people could be one of the major reasons behind this,” city police chief Sandeep Khirwar told IANS Monday.
He said the police will hold seminars at various banks and resident welfare associations of the city to increase awareness of the scheme.
The scheme was launched in Panchkula in June 2008 but till date, only five people have used it.
Khirwar said the procedure was also very simple as anyone who wants police protection just needs to call the police control room or the superintendent of police’s office, following which the police officials will immediately contact the applicant and provide security cover when they go to withdraw the money.
Nikunj Bhasin, secretary of Panchkula residents’ welfare association said: “We appreciate and welcome this initiative of police but the attitude of police personnel could be one of the reasons behind the lukewarm response to this campaign.”
“Police also need to change their image if they want full cooperation from the masses. Normally people are afraid of approaching the police and most of the times try to avoid their intervention,” he added.
- Get escort while withdrawing money from Panchkula banks - Jul 04, 2010
- Police grapple with rising crime in Panchkula - Nov 25, 2009
- Senior Haryana official found unconscious, hospitalized - Apr 14, 2012
- NDMA to conduct mock earthquake drill next year - Jun 06, 2012
- Aadhar to bring transparency in welfare schemes: PM - Aug 15, 2012
- Your supporters misleading you, Digvijay tells Anna (Roundup) - Oct 11, 2011
- ATM frauds on the rise in Chandigarh - Nov 24, 2010
- Three held for fraud using fake cheques - Dec 28, 2011
- Haryana students to be made aware on NRI marriages - Apr 25, 2012
- Swabhimaanya rolls out insurance schemes for domestic help - Feb 20, 2012
- Indian Bank to open more international branches - Apr 15, 2011
- Text of Prime Minister's Independence Day speech - Aug 15, 2012
- Mayawati launches scheme to woo upper caste poor - Nov 01, 2010
- India's banking operations hit by nationwide staff strike (Roundup) - Aug 05, 2011
- Dikshit opens campaign against heart disease - Jul 22, 2010