Germany offers India counter-terror equipmentJanuary 21st, 2009 - 11:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 21 (IANS) Germany Wednesday offered India cutting-edge equipment to counter terror when the head of German Federal Crime Office held talks with top Indian security and intelligence officials over the Mumbai terror attacks.Jörg Ziercke, the chief commissioner of the Federal Criminal Police Office of Germany (Bundeskriminalamt), held talks with National Security Adviser M.K. Narayanan and discussed the ongoing investigations into the Mumbai attacks.
India shared evidence about the involvement of Pakistani nationals and their handlers in the Mumbai carnage, intelligence sources told IANS.
Germany offered India advanced equipment related to coastal security, the sources added.
Narayanan shared with his German interlocutor steps taken by India to spruce up the country’s security and counter-terror infrastructure that included the setting up of a federal investigative agency to deal with terrorism.
Ziercke also met Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) chief Ashwini Kumar and Intelligence Bureau chief Rajiv Mathur and shared with them Germany’s experience in dealing with trans-national extremist networks.
One German national was among the 173 killed in the terror attacks in Mumbai in November last year.
Ziercke will also go to Mumbai and visit the sites that were the target of 10 Pakistan-based terrorists who came via sea from Karachi to launch coordinated assaults in the city.
Ziercke, who has been involved with many counter-terror probes in Germany, comes here more than a month after German Interior Minister Wolfgang Schäuble visited Delhi and offered equipment and assistance of its special forces in combating terrorism.
During his talks with Home Minister P. Chidambaram, Schäuble had underlined the need for creating a federal agency which brings together police, intelligence and coastal authorities and for new communication technologies to intercept sensitive messages.
- Germany says LeT staged Mumbai mayhem - Jan 22, 2009
- India, US launch internal security dialogue - May 27, 2011
- Germany to Pakistan: Banning terror groups not enough - Dec 12, 2008
- Terror tops India-US security dialogue Friday - May 26, 2011
- Chidambaram's counter-terrorism intelligence hub cleared - Jan 12, 2012
- India's anti-terror intelligence hub cleared (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Super Black Cat commandos by 2015: NSG chief - Oct 16, 2011
- Red tape delays pacts during German president's visit? - Jan 29, 2010
- India may press US for help in Mumbai terror probe - Jul 15, 2011
- Elite German force chief may visit to discuss NSG training - Jan 22, 2009
- NCTC: A vanity project or a necessity to fight terror? - May 06, 2012
- US Homeland Security chief visits India (Lead, Changing dateline) - May 24, 2011
- PM to open chief ministers' meet on security April 16 - Apr 14, 2012
- India, US agree to foster closer security ties - May 27, 2011
- India, Germany to discuss counter-terror cooperation Friday - Dec 11, 2008