Germany holds New Zealand for a draw in Punjab Gold CupFebruary 1st, 2009 - 9:21 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Feb 1 (IANS) Olympic champions Germany fought back to hold New Zealand 2-2 in the Punjab Gold Cup hockey tournament here Sunday.New Zealand took a 2-0 lead with Lloyd Stephenson and Blair Hilton striking for them. Germany came back in the second half with Olympian Lietz Tobias scoring both the goals to pull off a draw.
The match was well fought with both teams playing attacking hockey.
New Zealand struck early and got a penalty stroke in the fourth minute. Kiwi striker Lloyd Stephenson made no mistake with the shot and gave Black Sticks a 1-0 lead.
Germany got three penalty corners in the first half but failed to convert any and New Zealand ended the first half 1-0.
New Zealand added another goal in the 44th minute when midfielder Blair Hilton intersected a cross cleanly and sounded the board.
Stung by the two goals, Germany stepped on the gas and made several forays in the rival defence.
Tobias converted two penalty corners in 46th and 66th minute to level.
Germany and New Zealand won a point each for the draw
New Zealand’s goal-keeper Kyle Pontifex was awarded man-of-the-match.
- Champions Trophy: Australia beat Pakistan 6-1, NZ hold Netherlands 3-3 - Dec 06, 2011
- Hapless India thrashed by New Zealand in Azlan Shah opener - May 24, 2012
- Azlan Shah: India's medal hopes dashed as New Zealand crush them 7-3 - May 12, 2011
- Indian women's hockey team thrashed 2-5 by Australia - Apr 19, 2012
- India lose 1-2 to Germany in women's U-21 hockey - Nov 11, 2011
- India beat Kiwis in U-21 women's hockey - Nov 08, 2011
- Germany overcome a fighting New Zealand (Lead) - Mar 09, 2010
- Junior Asia Cup: India play 2-2 draw with Pakistan - May 06, 2012
- Indian women settle for bronze in hockey - Apr 16, 2012
- Indian women miss bronze in four-nation meet (Lead, With corrections) - Apr 16, 2012
- India concede equaliser in dying seconds to draw with Belgium - Nov 27, 2011
- New Zealand stay alive, beat Korea 2-1: World Cup Hockey - Mar 05, 2010
- India draw with Australia in U-21 women's hockey - Nov 09, 2011
- Azlan Shah Cup: Argentina end India's title hopes - May 30, 2012
- Punjab and Sind Bank beat Namdhari XI in Nehru hockey - Nov 22, 2011