German soldiers killed three Afghan civilians: German militaryAugust 30th, 2008 - 2:35 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, Aug 30 (DPA) The shots that killed three civilians at an Afghan checkpoint Friday were probably fired by Germans, not Afghan security personnel, the German armed forces said here several hours later as an inquiry into the incident continued.”According to what we know now, evidence has been obtained at the scene suggesting that the shots fired at the vehicle came from German guns,” the armed forces website in Germany said.
“Whether shots were fired from the other side towards the vehicle has yet to be conclusively established.”
An Afghan woman and two children were killed and four other children were injured as German soldiers opened fire on the car when it failed to stop in the northern province of Kunduz, Afghan police said earlier Friday.
Both Afghans and Germans were manning the checkpoint.
The armed forces said, “There are no grounds at the present time to accuse any of the German soldiers of wrongdoing.”
It said civilian prosecutors in Potsdam near Berlin had been informed of the incident and had opened a routine inquiry into the matter.
German law allows the prosecution of German citizens for acts that happen anywhere in the world.
- German soldiers kill five Afghan troops - Apr 03, 2010
- Man in Afghan army uniform kills four soldiers - Jan 20, 2012
- Afghan soldier kills US serviceman - Apr 27, 2012
- Afghan woman, two kids killed in German troops' fire - Aug 29, 2008
- Soldiers open fire at Arab-Israeli man in West Bank checkpoint - Jan 21, 2011
- Rogue Afghan soldier kills two British troops in southern Afghanistan - Mar 26, 2012
- NATO troops kill seven members of private security firm in eastern Afghanistan - Dec 11, 2010
- Two US soldiers among 16 killed in Afghanistan - Jun 16, 2010
- Four Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Oct 08, 2011
- 14 Afghan civilians killed in bomb blast, mistaken shooting - Jul 20, 2009
- Suicide attack kills seven policemen in Afghanistan - Aug 05, 2010
- British, Estonian troops killed in southern Afghanistan - Oct 16, 2011
- France suspends operations in Afghanistan after Afghan soldier kills 4 troops - Jan 21, 2012
- Afghan forces attack Pak check post in South Waziristan - Apr 27, 2011
- Three German soldiers die in Afghanistan gunbattle - Jun 23, 2009