German rape victim’s mother asked to give income detailsOctober 27th, 2008 - 5:17 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Oct 27 (IANS) The Goa police have been harassing the mother of a raped minor German girl, asking her to provide details not relevant to the case, her lawyer said here Monday.”She has been asked to give details of her daily activities, her business details, source of income and vehicles purchased in Goa. These things are not relevant to the case,” lawyer Aires Rodrigues told reporters.
The Calangute police, probing the offence, have given the mother a two-day notice to come forward with details, he said.
The police have been lethargic in pursuing the case right from the time the mother complained to them that Goa Education Minister Atanasio Monserrate’s son Rohit had raped her daughter.
The police took 12 days to register a first information report (FIR), and have not been able to trace the accused.
The mother later complained to police that Goa Public Works Department Minister Churchill Alemao’s nephew Warren Alemao had also raped her 14-year-old daughter.
The notice to her from the Calangute police comes on the heels of the Bombay High Court Chief Justice Swatanter Kumar’s intevention, seeking details of the police investigation into the high-profile case.
Distributing copies of the notice, Rodrigues said police were succumbing to political pressure.
He also said that despite the victim’s readiness to give her statement and get herself medically examined, the police were reluctant to act.
“If the girl is ready for the statement, why are police not doing it right today? Nothing stops them from going to her and taking her statement,” Rodrigues claimed.
Later in the day, a court here said the victim’s statement would be recorded Nov 1.
Rodrigues said the victim had to be admitted to the Institute of Psychiatry and Human Behaviour (IPHB) for three days. “She was discharged today,” he said.
Senior police officials have refused to comment on the issue.
- Teenage rape victim turns suicidal, abusive - Feb 17, 2010
- Goa minister's son may go scot-free in rape case - Aug 06, 2010
- German girl's rape: Goa seeks consulate's help - Sep 15, 2010
- Morphed photo of Goa politician on Facebook, case lodged - Aug 23, 2012
- Another minister's kin named in rape of German teen - Oct 23, 2008
- 'Congress leader scuttled investigations into German girl's rape' - Nov 03, 2008
- German rape victim deposes before magistrate - Nov 01, 2008
- Parrikar pats Goa police in minor German girl's rape probe - Oct 25, 2008
- Goa police probing business deals of rape victim's mother - Oct 31, 2008
- Officials wonder why police did not seek custody of rape accused - Nov 12, 2008
- Minor German girl's rape: Goa minister's son surrenders (Lead) - Nov 04, 2008
- Police to probe if Goa minister is sheltering rape accused - Oct 21, 2008
- Goa minister's son gets bail in rape case - Nov 10, 2008
- Minister in trouble again, could alter poll pitch (Goa newsletter) - Feb 03, 2012
- Goa advocate general charged with giving legal aid to rape accused - Nov 17, 2008