Georgia submits formal bid for 2020 Euro ChampionshipMay 16th, 2012 - 7:05 pm ICT by IANS
Tbilisi (Georgia), May 16 (IANS) Georgia has submitted its formal bid for the 2020 European Football Championship, the country’s sports minister confirmed.
Lado Vardzelashvili said Georgia submitted its bid late Monday to meet the Tuesday deadline set by UEFA, the governing body of the sport of football in Europe.
Instead of joint hosting along with neighbouring Azerbaijan, Georgia submitted an individual bid, after Azerbaijan had made a bid for the 2020 Summer Olympic Games, reported Xinhua.
“Azerbaijan has made a bid to host the Olympics, so Georgia will continue bidding for the Euro 2020 independently,” said the sports minister who added that construction of ultra-modern stadia would start this year, first in the Georgian Black Sea resort of Batumi.
Georgia has also planned to build new stadia in Gori, Ozurgeti and Zugdidi, according to the minister. Overhaul of existing stadia in the Georgian capital city of Tbilisi and the country’s second largest city of Kutaisi have also been planned.
During a speech delivered at the Azerbaijani parliament March 7, visiting Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili announced that Georgia and Azerbaijan would jointly bid for the Euro 2020.
“We are ready to consider all requirements and recommendations of UEFA which are necessary for the organization of such a big event,” read a part of the letter sent out by the Georgian Football Federation Monday to Gianni Infantino, UEFA secretary-general.
The host of Euro 2020 is expected to be announced late 2013 or early 2014.
- Azerbaijan joins Georgia in joint bidding for Euro 2020 - May 26, 2012
- Georgia, Azerbaijan to jointly bid for Euro 2020 - Mar 07, 2012
- Tbilisi to host 2015 UEFA Super Cup - Jul 01, 2012
- Romario bats for footvolley to become Olympic sport - Feb 11, 2012
- Tokyo excited to be in race for hosting 2020 Olympics - May 24, 2012
- Azerbaijan to host global singing contest - May 02, 2012
- England lose, Spain held in U-17 Euro qualifiers - Mar 29, 2012
- Bomber held in Georgia - May 05, 2012
- Istanbul, Madrid, Tokyo vie for hosting 2020 Olympics - May 24, 2012
- Euro 2012 ticket design unveiled in Ukraine - Apr 24, 2012
- England beat Ukraine, Georgia tie Spain in Euro 2012 U-17 - Mar 27, 2012
- Croatia's football body fined over pro-Nazi chants - Jun 19, 2011
- Rome is Italy's candidate for 2020 Olympic bid - May 20, 2010
- Sports ministry forms committee for venue management - Feb 05, 2011
- Germany not to bid for Euro 2020 - Apr 28, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,