Generous sponsors help 3 to take part in Canada World Arm Wrestling meetNovember 18th, 2008 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi (Kerala), Nov 18 (IANS) A helping hand from some private companies and individuals will enable three armwrestlers from Kerala to take part in the 30th World Championship to be held in Canada later November. The three who will now be travelling to Canada to take part in the competition are Shibu S. Ravi, a porter, Sajish P.V., who works in a private office, (both from Kochi), and Shoukat V.T., an autorickshaw driver from Kozhikode.
“Even though a total of 13 armwrestlers were selected for the competition, only three were lucky to get sponsors because the total expense per person is in excess of Rs.2 lakh (Rs.200,000),” Mukund Kumar, the coach of Ravi and Sajish, told IANS.
The companies and individuals who have come forward to help these three include Elder Pharma, Muthoot Pappachan Group, K.L. Chowla (Delhi), Daljit Singh, the president (strategy and organisational development) of Fortis Health Care, Manoj Gaur, executive chairman, J.P. Group, New Delhi, K.K. Mohan, a local trader, Mahindra Logistics, Regal Constructions and J.M. Baxi & Co.
Though the International Olympic Committee is actively considering the inclusion of arm wrestling in the 2012 Olympics, both the central and state governments have not taken this sport seriously. Kerala have been the national champions for the last eight years.
“This participation by the three, especially because of their background, is certainly going to bring more people into the sport and we are extremely thankful to all who came to support us,” said Kumar.
- Canadian visa for Kerala arm wrestlers rejected - Nov 23, 2008
- Mushtaq Ali T20: Second wins for Tamil Nadu, Karnataka - Oct 17, 2011
- Swapnali wins national mountain biking - Jul 31, 2012
- Canada hopes to finish among top 12 in London - May 30, 2012
- CBI files charge sheet in Kerala's Muthoot murder case - Dec 31, 2010
- Kerala group to invest Rs.7.5 bn in new hotel ventures - May 22, 2009
- Kerala should do more science and technology: Vayalar Ravi - Sep 13, 2012
- Kerala unable to honour singer Yesudas with lifetime award - Oct 24, 2011
- Chandy to lead 'Emerging Kerala' road show in Mumbai (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- India at London Olympics (Schedule) - Jul 27, 2012
- Kerala scores high in central reshuffle - Jan 19, 2011
- Debates, controversies should not hamper investment: Antony - Sep 12, 2012
- Over 35 Canadian firms to take part in Emerging Kerala - Sep 12, 2012
- New player pitches in for Kochi IT park - Nov 26, 2009
- Mukund scores maiden half century as India reach 102/2 (Lunch report) - Jul 09, 2011