General insurance premium to top Rs.1 trillion by 2015: ReportFebruary 8th, 2009 - 4:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 8 (IANS) General insurance premium earning is likely to grow at 20 percent annually over the next six years and top the Rs.1-trillion (Rs.100,000-crore) mark by 2015, says an industry report released Sunday.
The Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM), in a joint study with the United India Insurance Co, also said the massive increase in premium earning from Rs.280 billion (Rs.28,000 crore) currently would be on account of increased awareness.
The study said the earnings from premium grew at compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 16.6 percent between 2000-01 and 2007-08.
In 2000-01, the gross premium stood at Rs.96.2 billion (Rs.9,620 crore) and touched Rs.281.38 billion (Rs.28,138 crore) in 2007-08, the study said.
“The huge market largely remains untapped in both rural and urban India as 70 percent of the population is still not touched by insurance companies,” said ASSOCHAM president Sajjan Jindal while releasing the findings.
“High growth in healthcare sector will also open up health insurance potentials substantially,” he added.
However, the study said the size of India’s general insurance industry - at Rs.310 billion (Rs.31,000 crore) - was low when compared to that of the US, which is Rs.2.44 trillion (Rs.2.44 lakh crore), or France (Rs.3.7 trillion/Rs.3.7 lakh crore), Germany (Rs.3.85 trillion/Rs.3.85 lakh crore) and even China (Rs.1.32 trillion/Rs.1.32 lakh crore).
- Non-life insurers post 18 percent growth in May 2012 - Jun 28, 2012
- Non-life insurers post 19 percent growth in April - May 31, 2011
- Insurance industry to be worth $400 bn by 2020: Report - Apr 10, 2011
- Non-life insurers log 27 percent business growth in May - Jun 25, 2011
- Life insurance had a great fall in September - Oct 21, 2010
- Karnataka India's second preferred investment destination: Assocham - Jun 16, 2011
- Karnataka India's second preferred investment destination: Assocham (Lead, correcting name in para one) - Jun 16, 2011
- Bajaj Allianz to launch gender-based pricing of health policy - Aug 31, 2012
- Non-life insurers log 17 percent growth in first quarter - Jul 12, 2012
- CAG reports creating suspicion, distrust: Assocham - Aug 28, 2012
- UBI to raise Rs.3.1 bn via preferential allotment - Mar 19, 2012
- Only 35 percent of investments in Karnataka took off: Assocham - Aug 08, 2010
- United India to expand micro-offices, agency channel - Sep 18, 2012
- Samsung Electronics' operating profit grows 13 percent in Q3 - Oct 28, 2011
- Pakistan finalises Rs.3.8 trillion budget - May 27, 2011