Gender no bar: Himachal varsity gets first woman presidentAugust 22nd, 2008 - 5:57 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Aug 22 (IANS) Gender consideration played no part in her historic victory, asserted Shikha Chauhan, the first woman to be elected president of the students’ union in Himachal Pradesh University (HPU).Shikha Chauhan of the Left-backed Student Federation of India (SFI) won the president’s post of the Students’ Central Association Thursday to become the first woman to be elected to the post in the 30-year history of the state university.
Chauhan defeated Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) candidate Amit Kumar by a margin of 47 votes.
A law student, Shikha felt there was no gender consideration in her election as president.
“Of course, there was no gender consideration. It is my ideology and style of working that gave me a chance to fight for the cause of students,” she told IANS.
Her top priorities would be to fight against commercialisation of education and to make the university a profit-making entity.
The SFI again dominated the university elections by winning three of the four executive posts in the students body.
Though the communists have no stake in the state politics, they have been dominating the HPU student polls for over five years.
The posts of secretary and joint secretary were won by SFI candidates, Virender Singh and Surinder Kumar.
Daleep Negi of the ABVP was elected vice-president.
With 73 per cent polling in HPU, a total of 1,882 out of 2,574 students cast their votes.
- SFI wins Himachal university polls - Aug 23, 2012
- Polling begins in Delhi University and JNU - Sep 14, 2012
- JNU painted Red as AISA sweeps polls (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Delhi University goes to poll Friday amidst tight security - Sep 02, 2010
- Delhi University all set for polls Friday - Sep 13, 2012
- JNU goes to students' union polls Friday - Sep 13, 2012
- ABVP repeats 2002 performance, tops Delhi University polls (Lead) - Sep 04, 2010
- ABVP sweeps DUSU elections - Sep 04, 2010
- DUSU polls end, results on Saturday (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- Panjab University's students poll results out - Sep 03, 2010
- 37 per cent students turn out for DUSU polls - Sep 04, 2009
- CPI-M student wings sweep Tripura college polls - Dec 03, 2011
- Anna helps ABVP defeat NSUI in Delhi varsity polls - Sep 10, 2011
- Shutdown in Himachal varsity, students miss classes - Aug 13, 2012
- Tighten security for DU polls, says Delhi BJP - Sep 12, 2012