Gender equality prerequisite for inclusive growth: Meira KumarSeptember 13th, 2012 - 10:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 13 (IANS) Gender equality and women’s empowerment are not only human rights issues but also prerequisites for achieving inclusive and sustainable growth, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar said Thursday.
She was addressing the 58th Commonwealth Parliamentary Conference, inaugurated in Colombo by Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa Sep 11 on the topic “Engaging Political Parties to Improve Gender-responsive Governance”, a release issued by the speaker’s office here said.
The Speaker is leading a parliamentary delegation which comprises five members of parliament and representatives from state legislatures.
- Sri Lankan leaders heckled in Lok Sabha (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- South Asia committed to democracy: Lok Sabha speaker - Feb 12, 2011
- Indian delegation holds talks in Sri Lanka - Apr 17, 2012
- Jointly fight food crisis, terrorism: Meira Kumar - Oct 26, 2010
- AIADMK out of MPs team to Sri Lanka - Apr 11, 2012
- Sri Lanka, India discuss travel advisory - Sep 13, 2012
- DMK withdraws from MPs delegation to Sri Lanka - Apr 15, 2012
- Rajapaksa wants to discuss targeting of Sri Lankans with India - Sep 07, 2012
- Leftist insurgency has hit development hard: Meira Kumar (Lead) - Oct 26, 2010
- Joint parliamentary panel begins goodwill visit to Lanka - Apr 16, 2012
- Indian delegation visits Sri Lanka's war-torn north - Apr 19, 2012
- Protest against Sri Lankan delegation in Lok Sabha - Aug 01, 2011
- Sri Lanka court frees ex-army chief's aides - Sep 25, 2010
- Rajapaksa assures Krishna of empowering ethnic Tamils (Second Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- SAARC MPs' conference concludes with call for peace - Jul 11, 2011
Tags: colombo, commonwealth, empowerment, gender equality, human rights issues, Lok Sabha, mahinda rajapaksa, meira kumar, members of parliament, New Delhi, parliament, parliamentary conference, parliamentary delegation, political parties, prerequisite, president mahinda rajapaksa, sep 11, sri lankan president, state legislatures, sustainable growth