Gen Singh conferred Nepal Army General rankJuly 11th, 2012 - 9:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 11 (IANS) Indian Army Chief General Bikram Singh, on a four-day’s official visit to Nepal, was Wednesday conferred the rank of an honorary General of the Nepal Army.
President Ram Baran Yadav formally conferred the rank on Gen. Singh at a ceremony in Kathmandu also attended by Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai, members of his cabinet and Nepal Army chief Gen. Chhatra Man Gurung.
The Indian and the Nepalese armies traditionally honour each other’s chiefs by conferring the honorary rank of general.
The Nepal Army chief was similarly conferred the honorary rank of general of the Indian Army by President Pratibha Patil in December 2009.
Speaking on the occasion, Gen. Bikram Singh said it was “a great honour” to have been bestowed with the honorary rank.
“This will further strengthen the bonds of friendship between the two countries and their armies,” he said.
The Indian Army chief returns to New Delhi Friday.
- Indian Army chief in Nepal to strengthen military bond - Jul 10, 2012
- Indian Army Chief VK Singh to be honoured in Nepal - Dec 21, 2010
- Kapoor to get honorary rank of Nepalese Army general - Jan 18, 2010
- Nepal gets new army chief - Sep 09, 2012
- Indian army chief discusses cross-border terror with Nepal (Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- Indian army chief arrives in Nepal to receive honour - Dec 20, 2010
- Indian Army chief made honorary general of Nepal Army - Jan 22, 2010
- CII offers to push Nepal's economic development - Apr 06, 2012
- Indian Army chief to visit Nepal - Jan 01, 2010
- Nepal army chief receives guard of honour from Indian army - Dec 14, 2009
- Army chief India's best envoy to Nepal in 2010? - Dec 22, 2010
- President Patil confers honorary title on Nepal Army Chief - Dec 15, 2009
- Three-day Maoist strike paralyses Nepal amid sporadic violence (Lead) - Dec 20, 2009
- Army chief's comment on Nepal Maoists not our view: India - Jan 04, 2010
- Blow for Nepal army on Indian Army chief's visit eve - Jan 04, 2010