Geet Sethi, Pankaj Advani for inaugural Kolkata Open snookerApril 26th, 2012 - 7:45 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 26 (IANS) City cueists will vie with the likes of former multiple world champions Geet Sethi and Pankaj Advani in the inaugural Kolkata Open National Invitation Snooker Championship to be played here May 4-9.
The six-day championship, with Rs.5 lakh prize money, will witness 13 national level and 11 amateur cueists from across the country fighting it out on a league-cum-knockout format.
Apart from Sethi and Advani other participants in the first such venture in eastern India include Asian Games silver medallists Aditya Mehta and Brijesh Damani, and former India no.2 Sourav Kothari.
“The event — first of its kind being played in eastern India — will give budding players from the city much needed exposure beside being a great experience for the fans of the sport. We hope to make it a regular calendar event and we are also working on getting international participation,” said Alok Garodia, president of the Hindustan Club Ltd — the organisers.
The tournament will be played in two categories — main draw with 12 teams in four groups and the Pro-Am with 12 teams in four groups with each team comprising a professional and an amateur player.
The winner in the main draw will be richer by Rs.1 lakh while the Pro-Am champion will get Rs.60,000.
- India to host 2013 world professional snooker meet - May 04, 2012
- Billiards: Advani heads Indian challenge - Jul 16, 2012
- Meenal, Arantxa in National Billiards Final - Jan 25, 2012
- Triple crown for Varsha in National cue sports - Jan 23, 2012
- Aditya wraps up India's Asiad snooker campaign with singles bronze (Lead) - Nov 20, 2010
- Fairly satisfactory year for Indian cue sports (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 25, 2010
- Advani leads way into pre-quarters of National Snooker - Feb 02, 2012
- Close battles in the offing in National Billiards and Snooker - Jul 17, 2011
- India has bright future in cue sports: Geet Sethi - May 05, 2012
- Mehta eases into semis of National Snooker Championship - Feb 03, 2012
- Snooker: Sourav Kothari waltzes into final - Jun 23, 2012
- Chopra joins centurions list in National Snooker - Feb 01, 2012
- National Snooker: Mehta, Chawla in title round - Feb 03, 2012
- Mehta sparkles with 134 break at National snooker - Jan 31, 2012
- India beat Pakistan 3-2 in Asiad hockey; silver, bronze take tally to 22 (Evening Lead) - Nov 20, 2010
Tags: aditya, amateur player, asian games, brijesh, calendar event, club ltd, damani, eastern india, geet sethi, hindustan, international participation, lakh, mehta, national invitation, pankaj advani, prize money, rs 1, silver medallists, sourav, world champions