Geelani to lead funeral prayers for Osama in KashmirMay 6th, 2011 - 3:40 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, May 6 (IANS) Hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani will Friday lead the ‘Ghaibana Namaz-e-Janaza’ or the ‘funeral prayers in absence’ for slain Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden in Jammu and Kashmir’s summer capital Srinagar.
Geelani has appealed to various Imams across the Kashmir Valley and the people to offer funeral prayers of Osama after the Friday prayers.
A heavy contingent of policemen was posted outside the uptown Hyderpora residence of Geelani early Friday, but was later withdrawn.
Earlier reports had said that Geelani had been placed under house arrest to prevent him from leading Osama’s funeral prayers after the Friday congregation.
No senior police officer, however, confirmed Geelani’s house arrest.
Earlier in the day, when asked about Geelani’s decision to lead funeral prayers, a senior police officer said: “Nobody will be allowed to disturb the peace and tranquility here.”
It must be mentioned that Geelani was the only separatist leader in the valley who came out strongly against the US for Osama’s killing.
“He died a martyr who fought the US oppression in Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya,” Geelani said immediately after the news report of Osama’s killing in a US operation in Abbottabad, Pakistan.
Despite official apprehension, Kashmir remained peaceful in the wake of Osama’s killing. The Kashmiris mostly preferred not to discuss the issue in public.
- Osama's burial at sea offended Muslim sensibility: Geelani (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Geelani prevented from visiting south Kashmir - May 13, 2011
- Geelani under house arrest - Jun 10, 2011
- Geelani demands release of prisoners before Eid - Aug 19, 2011
- Geelani, Shabir Shah placed under house arrest - Jul 29, 2011
- Will make Geelani hero no more: Omar - May 07, 2011
- Geelani, Mirwaiz placed under house arrest - May 27, 2011
- Geelani lone Kashmiri leader to condemn Osama killing - May 03, 2011
- Special prayers offered for Osama in Chennai - May 06, 2011
- Eid celebrated with prayers for peace, feasting (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2012
- Geelani placed under house arrest in Srinagar - Mar 04, 2011
- Moulana Israr Ahmed's death shocks Muslims - Apr 14, 2010
- Geelani says census shouldn't change Kashmir's demography - May 13, 2010
- Paswan to call on Geelani - Sep 21, 2010
- Peaceful Eid prayers held across Kashmir - Nov 07, 2011
Tags: abbottabad pakistan, afghanistan iraq, apprehension, contingent, house arrest, imams, jammu and kashmir, janaza, kashmir, kashmir valley, kashmiris, martyr, news report, oppression, osama bin laden, peace and tranquility, police officer, policemen, separatist leader, srinagar